Premium

15 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BLG 151
Professor
Martina Hausner

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 15 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Microbiology Chapter 13: Part 2 13.3 DNA Replication in Bacteria Flow of Genetic Information: Replication/Transcription and Translation  Replication: synthesis of DNA from DNA (parent)  Transcription: synthesis of RNA from DNA  Translation: synthesis of protein from mRNA DNA Replication  Complex process involving numerous proteins which help ensure accuracy  The 2 strands separate, each serving as a template for synthesis of a complementary strand  The synthesis is semi-conservative; each daughter cell obtains one old and one new strand DNA Replication is Semi-Conservative  Each of the 2 progeny DNA molecules consists of one new strand and one old strand  Very accurate – the error rate is about 1 in 10 or 100  Very rapid – 750 to 1000 base pairs per second in bacteria. And 100 base pairs per second in eucaryotes Bacterial DNA Replication Initiates from a Single Origin of Replication  DNA in most bacteria is circular  Bidirectional replication from a single origin  Replication fork is where DNA is unwound o Replicon: the portion of the genome with the origin, replicated as a unit (entire genome in bacteria) The Replication Machinery  Consists of at least 30 proteins in e.g. E.coli, many are different from archaeal and eukaryotic replication enzymes Replication Machinery – Polymerases  DNA polymerase catalyzes synthesis of complementary strand of DNA  DNA synthesis in 5’ to 3’ direction forming phosphodiester bonds  Major enzyme?  DNA polymerase (5 polymerases; polymerase III, assested by Pol I, plays a major role in replication)  Polymerases require:  A template ( read in 3’ to 5’ direction) – directs synthesis of complementary strand  A primer – DNA or RNA strand to provide a free 3’-hydroxul group to which nucleotides can be added  Deoxynucleotide triphosphates – dNTPs (dATP, DTTP, DCTP, dGTP) o Deoxynucleotide triphosphates are linked by phosphodiester bonds between the hydroxyl group at the 3’ end of the growing strand and the phosphate closest to the 5’ C of the incoming deoxynucleotide (alpha phosphate) Replication Machinery – The Polymerase Pieces  DNA polymerase holoenzyme is a complex of 10 proteins  3 proteins form core enzyme  catalyze DNA synthesis, proofread for fidelity  Polymerase III (Pol III) holoenzyme contains  Beta clamp which tethers the enzyme to DNA  A complex of proteins called the T (tau) complex clamp loader o This includes proteins responsible for loading the beta clamp onto DNA o The tau proteins in the complex hold the holoenzyme together.  Both strands of DNA are bound by 1 Pol III  Replisome – complex of proteins involved in replication (includes Pol III) Other Replisome Proteins  SSBs – single stranded binding proteins: keep strands apart for replication to occur  Helicase: unwinds DNA strands, use ATP  Primase: (RNA polymerase, can initiate RNA synthesis without an existing 3’-OH) part of primosome, synthesizes short complementary strands of RNA primers (~10 nucleotides) for DNA polymerase  Topoisomerase: (gyrase) breaks one strand of DNA; relieves tension from rapid unwinding of double helix, prevents supercoiling  DNA gyrase: also introduces negative supercoiling, helps compact bacterial chromosome  Leading strand: synthesized at its 3’ end as DNA unwinds  Lagging strand: no 3’-OH, synthesized discontinuously in the 5’ to 3’ direction, opposite to the movement of the replication fork  Okazaki fragments; a new RNA primer is needed for synthesis of each Okazaki fragment Events at the Replication Fork in E. coli  DNA polymerase synthesis is in 5’ to 3’ direction only  Bacterial initiator protein DnaA binds oriC locus (origin or replication, AT rich) causing bending and separation of strands  DnaB helicase and topoisomerases separate strands, SSB attach, keep strands separated  Primase synthesizes RNA primer  Lagging and leading strand is synthesized by Pol III  On leading strand, replication is continuous  The ladding strand is synthesized in short fragments called Okazaki fragments -A new primer is needed for the synthesis of each Okazaki fragment  Pol I removes RNA primers and Ligase joins DNA fragments  DNA polymerase I removes RNA primers by removing nucleotides starting at the 5’end moving towards the 3’ end  5’ to 3’ exonuclease activity, fills gaps between Okazaki fragments with 3’-OH from deoxynucleotide  Okazaki fragments are joined by DNA ligase  phosphodiester bond between 3’- OH of growing strand and 5’-phosphate of Okazaki fragment Linking the Fragments  DNA ligase forms a phosphodiester bond between 3’-hydroxyl of growing strand and 5’- phosphate of an Okazaki fragment Proofreading  Carried out by DNA polymerase III  Removal of mismatched base from 3’end of growing strand by 3’ to 5’ exonuclease activity of Pol III enzyme  This activity is not 100% efficient Termination of Replication in E. coli  Replication stops when replisome reaches termination site (ter) on DNA; protein (tus) binds to ter and stops progression of forks  In many bacteria replication stops spontaneously when the forks meet  Catenanes (interlocked chromosomes) form when the two circular daughter chromosomes do not separate  Topoisomerases temporarily break the DNA molecules so the strands can separate  Dimerized chromosomes (2 chromosomes joined together to form a single chromosome 2x long) result from DNA recombination  Recombinase enzymes (e.g. XerCD in E.coli) catalyze a cross over that separates the two chromosomes 13.4 Bacterial Gene Structure Gene  Polynucleotide sequence that codes for a functional product (rRNA, tRNA or mRNA – protein)  Transcription yields three major type of RNA molecules  Messenger RNA: mRNA molecules arise from transcription of protein-coding genes. They are translated into protein with the aid of the other two major types of RNA  Transfer RNA: tRNA molecules carry amino acids to the ribosome during translation;  Ribosomal RNA: rRNA molecules have several functions, including catalyzing peptise bond formation mRNA Genes – Protein Coding Genes  Promoter: binding site for RNA Pol; neither transcribed nor translated  Leader: at the transcription start site (+1), transcribed into mRNA, not translated. In bacteria, it includes the Shine-Dalgarno sequence (needed for initiation of translation)  Coding region: begins with 3’-TAC-5’  start codon 5’-AUG-3’, sequence of amino acids for the rest of the protein. Ends with a stop codon – signals the end of the protein.  Template strand: directs mRNA synthesis, beginning of gene at the 3’ end  Sense (coding) strand: complementary to template strand, same nucleotide sequence as mRNA (except in DNA bases)  Trailer: transcribed, but not translated. Contains a sequence which prepares the RNA Pol for release from template strand.  Terminator: signals the DNA polymerase to stop transcription tRNA and rRNA Genes  DNA sequences that code for tRNA and rRNA are considered genes  Several tRNA or rRNA genes are often transcribed together under the control of a single promoter  Genes coding for tRNA may code for more than a single tRNA molecule or type of tRNA  Genes coding for rRNA are transcribed as signle, large precursor and cut to yield rRNAs (and sometimes tRNAs)  Spacers between the coding regions are removed after transcription, some by the use of special ribonucleases called ribozymes 13.5 Transcription in Bacteria Flow of Genetic Information: Replication/Transcription and Translation  Replication: synthesis of DNA from DNA  Transcription: synthesis of RNA from DNA  Translation: synthesis of protein from mRNA Transcription in Bacteria  Synthesis of RNA under the direction of DNA  The RNA product has a sequence complementary to DNA template strand  Generates three major kinds of RNA:  Transfer RNA tRNA – carries amino acids during protein synthesis  Ribosomal RNA rRNA – are components of ribosomes  Messenger RNA mRNA – bears the message for protein synthesis  Involves 3 stages:  Initiation  Elongation  Termination  Bacterial genes encoding proteins involved in a related process are often located close to each other and are transcribed from a single promoter (transcriptional unit: operon)  Transcription of an operon yields an mRNA consisting of a leader followed by one coding region, which is separated from the second coding region by a spacer, and so on, with the final sequence of nucleotides being the trailer. Such mRNAs are said to be polycistronic mRNAs (bacteria, archaea) RNA is Synthesized by a Single RNA Polymerase in Bacteria  Bacterial RNA polymerase – 5 polypeptide chains of  RNA polymerase core enzyme – 2x  RNA holoenzyme contains core enzyme plus (sigma) factor – recognizes promoter sequence and initiates transcription 70  factor recognizes the most common promoter sequence Sigma 70 Promoter – Most Common One  Where does transcription start? At the promoter. Many bacterial promoters are recognized by the sigma factor which positions RNA Pol at the
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit