BLG 400 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Oogonium, Cell Division, Chromosome Segregation

87 views3 pages

Document Summary

Telophase ii: chromosomes begin to uncoil, nuclear envelopes and nucleoli re-form. Cytokinesis: cytoplasm divides forming 4 haploid cells. Meiosis contributes to genetic diversity in 2 ways: Independent assortment of non-homologues creates different combinations of alleles. Crossing over between homologues creates different combinations of alleles within each chromosome. Meiosis: occurs in germ cells as part of the sexual cycle, two rounds of division (meiosis i and ii, only diploid cells undergo meiosis, occurs after mitosis. None are identical to eachother or the original cell. Germ-line: specialized diploid cells set aside during embryogenesis. Oogonia: diploid germ cells in ovaries of female embryos. Divide by mitosis and enter meiosis i to become primary oocytes. Primary oocytes arrest in diplotene stage of meiosis i until after birth. At puberty, one oocyte per month resumes meiosis. At ovulation, completion of meiosis i produces a secondary oocyte and first polar body. Secondary oocyte arrests in metaphase of meiosis ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers