Fall 2016

Department
Biology
Course Code
BLG 700
Professor
Nancy Woodley
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Midterm Module 5 Notes
According to the latest statistics (Statistics Canada, 2012a), what percentage of
Canadian children, aged 5 to 17, are considered overweight or obese? 1 out of 3
According to the latest statistics (Statistics Canada, 2012b), what percentage of
Canadian adults, aged 18 to 79, are considered overweight or obese? 2 out of 3
Obesity and Overweight
Obesity and being overweight are typically measured using the Body Mass Index
or BMI.
Calculated by dividing a person’s weight (in kilograms) by the square of their
height (in meters)
An adult of 18 years or over with a BMI of 30+ is deemed “obese.” An adult with
a BMI of 25 to 29.9 is deemed “overweight.”
Numerous health problems, including type 2 diabetes, hypertension, obstructive
sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, many types of cancer (including breast, colorectal and
pancreatic) and cardiovascular disease (coronary heart disease and stroke).
Body weight has to do primarily with diet and exercise, which are seen to be
individual choices
Subtext of this discourse is that people who have large bodies are at fault because
they are lazy.
Obesity and Overweight: Time Period
Political economy is a branch of social science that studies the relationships
between individuals and society and between markets and the state, using a
diverse set of tools drawn largely from economics, political science and
sociology.
Tony winson’s research shows that An average of 31% of supermarket shelf space
was devoted to pseudo-foods, Pseudo-foods were heavily marketed at the check-
out and through numerous special displays, and Entire aisles were devoted to
pseudo-foods
Pseudo-foods are not only plentiful but heavily marketed in supermarkets. As
Winson notes, if we see such foods all over the store and then again at the check
out, we are more likely to buy them, especially on impulse
“Nag factor,” a marketing term describing the different ways in which children
manipulate their parents to make a purchase and that marketers use to their
advantage.
Differential profit The idea is that pseudo-foods offer stores a higher profit than
less-processed foods, such as produce or milk.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com Midterm Module 5 Notes  According to the latest statistics (Statistics Canada, 2012a), what percentage of Canadian children, aged 5 to 17, are considered overweight or obese? 1 out of 3  According to the latest statistics (Statistics Canada, 2012b), what percentage of Canadian adults, aged 18 to 79, are considered overweight or obese? 2 out of 3 Obesity and Overweight  Obesity and being overweight are typically measured using the Body Mass Index or BMI.  Calculated by dividing a person’s weight (in kilograms) by the square of their height (in meters)  An adult of 18 years or over with a BMI of 30+ is deemed “obese.” An adult with a BMI of 25 to 29.9 is deemed “overweight.”  Numerous health problems, including type 2 diabetes, hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, many types of cancer (including breast, colorectal and pancreatic) and cardiovascular disease (coronary heart disease and stroke).  Body weight has to do primarily with diet and exercise, which are seen to be individual choices  Subtext of this discourse is that people who have large bodies are at fault because they are lazy. Obesity and Overweight: Time Period  Political economy is a branch of social science that studies the relationships between individuals and society and between markets and the state, using a diverse set of tools drawn largely from economics, political science and sociology.  Tony winson’s research shows that An average of 31% of supermarket shelf space was devoted to pseudo-foods, Pseudo-foods were heavily marketed at the check- out and through numerous special displays, and Entire aisles were devoted to pseudo-foods 
  Pseudo-foods are not only plentiful but heavily marketed in supermarkets. As Winson notes, if we see such foods all over the store and then again at the check out, we are more likely to buy them, especially on impulse  “Nag factor,” a marketing term describing the different ways in which children manipulate their parents to make a purchase and that marketers use to their advantage.  Differential profit The idea is that pseudo-foods offer stores a higher profit than less-processed foods, such as produce or milk. find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com  Food industry notion that the more a food is processed, the more it has “value added.” If a store wants to maximize profits, a good way to do this is to sell more pseudo-foods.  Spatial colonization of our food environments by pseudofoods, this is partially responsible for the rise in obesity. Obesity and Overweight: Region  The general pattern is the larger the city, the lower the obesity rates.  Obesogenic environment, an “environment that promotes weight gain and is not conducive to weight loss”  Neighbourhoods or regions built primarily for cars result in obesity and overweight individuals  Urban areas with few sidewalks, bike paths, and greenspaces, which makes walking and biking unpleasant or dangerous.  Long distances between destinations, making driving a practical necessity.  Poor neighborhoods or regions may be food deserts, with little access to healthy foods  Residents may have little mon
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit