BUS100 Lecture 11: BUS100 TEXTBOOK ASGN 1.docx

Department
Business
Course Code
BUS 100
Professor
David Schlanger
Lecture

This preview shows pages 1-3. to view the full 10 pages of the document.
Textbook Assignment Part 1:
What resonated with you?
Chapters 1-6
Section: 091
Amanda Laine
Amanda.laine@ryerson.ca
October 18, 2014
Chapter 1

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Learning Styles: Discovering how you learn
This article is one of the first ones in our textbook because it teaches you about yourself and
explains that there is more than one correct way to learn. There were three specific insights and lessons
that the author brought to my attention throughout this article. The first one being “how we need to
understand the different ways that people create meaning from their experience and change their
behavior. In other words, learn about how we learn” (BMS, 40). This helps me to understand and
accept that everyones opinions and ways of doing things are different. Expanding from that thought is
the second lesson I learnt in this article, which is, “we learn by perceiving and processing” (BMS, 40).
We learn by perceiving through concrete experiences or by abstract conceptualization and processing
through reflective observation and active experimentation (BMS, 41). I discovered that I like to
process experiences through active experimentation, I like to be involved in what I am learning so that I
can learn from my mistakes. The thirds lesson I was taught was that in order to promote success in
either schoolwork or even throughout life you need to be flexible. Being flexible to me means adopting
a big of the three other learning styles. Having the ability to reflective and observe would help me a lot
in my daily and student life.
As a result of reading this article, I have chosen two very specific personal action-oriented
goals. They are to become a more flexible learner and to learn more by observing my surroundings and
experiences. I think that my studies and daily tasks would greatly benefit from that.
Claim your multiple intelligences
This article caught my attention because of the title. Whenever I see the word multiple
intelligence I immediately think of a persons IQ. That being said the first insight I had while reading
this article was the fact that a persons IQ has very little insight to telling how well they are going to
succeed in academics or in life. I thought this was a very cool thought and I agree with it completely. I
do not think that one single score tells everything about a persons intelligence especially when being
intelligent can mean so many different things. The second thing I learnt from reading this article is that
there are actually eight different kinds of intelligences. This is a much higher number than I would
have guessed there were, but after reading each of them I realized that they describe peoples
personality traits at large, which in my opinion goes to prove that every person is intelligent in their
own ways. But again as I learnt from the previous article, the key is to be flexible enough that you are
able to draw from each intelligence to form your own personal multiple intelligence.
As a result of reading this article, I have chosen two very specific personal action-oriented
goals. They are, to develop greater visual/spatial intelligence as I feel that this is the one in particular
where I lack, and could benefit from the most. And to be more conscience in my day-to-day activities
so that I am able to practice drawing on each intelligence more often.
Motivation-I’m just not in the mood
This article talks about motivation or the lack there of. Until reading this I wasn’t aware of how
people use the words “motivation, self-discipline or willpower to describe something we are missing in
ourselves” (BMS, 57). This thought resonated with me because as the article describes and what I
always thought to be true, was that motivation isn’t something people are either born with or without,
but instead it is a habit that people can learn to develop.
A specific tip for motivating oneself in the article that was “turn down the pressure” (BMS, 58).
This tip will be very useful for myself because I tend to build up so much pressure on certain exams
and projects that I have a hard time with the mere thought of starting them.

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

The last piece of insight I received from this article is that people, including myself, can lack
motivation due to being a perfectionist (BMS, 59). I never realized that being a perfectionist can also
mean being a procrastinator but in many ways that proves to be true for me.
goals. They are, to firstly get better at making rough drafts when starting an assignment. This will help
with taking so long to complete a project because of the fear that it wont be perfect the first time.
Secondly, I am going to stop putting so much pressure on myself, and relax a little more, knowing that I
will get everything done instead of stressing about all that I have to do.
Chapter 2
The ABC daily to-do list
Making a to-do list is something that I already do on a daily basis. It proves to be very useful in
the sense that I don’t have to remember what I need to do next, I just look at my to-do list and cross
each task off as they are completed until the list is done. This leaves me feeling very accomplished and
a sense of pride in my daily activities.
One tip that I can take from this article is to estimate the allotted time for each task on my list
(BMS, 81). Having an hourly guideline to follow would help me make sure that I am not spending too
much time on an activity that should have only taken a few hours to complete.
Another lesson I learnt that I need to begin doing on my to-do list is, to rank each task in
priority as being either A-critical, B-Important, but less than A and C- does not require immediate
attention. This will prove useful in my daily life by keeping my priorities straight and accomplishing
the most important things first.
goals. They are, to estimate how long it will take to complete each task on my to-do list then write it
down beside the task, and to start ranking all of my tasks in order of importance.
25 ways to get the most out of now
After reading 25 ways to get the most out of now it is clear that 3 of them resonate with me in
particular. Being aware of your best time of day is one of the ways you can make the most out of now
(BMS, 89), and it is one of the things that I need to pay more attention to. I need to realize that I will
not be a nighttime student and that I get my most productive work done during the day. That being said
I need to organize my schedule to make sure that I am completing all of my A-level tasks when I am
most alert.
The third way to get the most out of now, according to the article, is to use waiting time to your
advantage. This is something that I already pride myself in doing. If I have to memorize a bunch of
formulas or definitions then I will usually write them down on a piece of paper and keep in my purse,
that way when ever I am waiting around during the day I can read and memorize bits and pieces.
The last piece of advice this article gave to me was number 18 on the list, asking yourself: Is
this a piano? Meaning, if I can complete this job 95% correctly then do I need to spend all the extra
time to make it 100% correct (BMS, 91). I need to work on this and realize that not everything needs
to be done perfectly. Realizing this would help me get the most out of other daily activities and
schoolwork.
goals. They are, to use the daylight I have more productively by getting more things done during the
peak of my energy, and when I find myself perfectly a rough draft of rough notes to ask myself: Is this
piano?
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version