Ryerson University
Department
Business
Course
BUS 100
Professor
Shangara Flora
Research Essay: Oryx and Crake Outline
What does this book say about religion? Do you think it is pro or anti-religion? How does
Snowman/Jimmy portray Oryx and Crake as gods?
What needs to be done:
Editing
-Purple writing is thesis; if there is any way you can make it into one
sentence or make it smoother that would be greatly appreciated
-Making transitions if there isn’t any and having those sharp closing
statements to relate back to why the book is anti-religious
-Third Paragraph (Body #2) Bolded is what needs to be there that I can’t
seem to wrap my mind around……I would love a good Bulllshitting :P
-Making everything smooth
-General editing in terms of grammar and paraphrase like crazy!
-You have the permission to change/alter whatever you’d like if you think It
will help
Atwood is making a definitive statement as to whether God created man or
whether man created God. Undoubtedly, she is suggesting that man creates God in his
own mind. Jimmy uses Crake as the creator of the Crakers and Oryx as the creator of
animals. Oryx and Crake display a wide variation of religious and biblical references
which support Atwood’s beliefs that God is nonexistent, thus illustrating that this is an
anti-religious text. The portrayal of anti-religion occurs in this book through the
deterioration of Crake’s vision of perfection, which leads to a disbelief in God’s
existence. World Figures such as Crake have views suggesting that god is merely an
obstacle in the world of science that they know so well. Through Crake’s vision of the
world, it is seen that God is a manipulative tool used by those that desire power and
control, which is a reflection of the past issues our society still faces. Atwood uses the
characters of Crake and Oryx from the perspective of Jimmy to illustrate how God is
created from man in an anti-religion context.
Crake’s temptation to play the role of God, alongside the corporations who supported
Crake’s vision, caused the virus to spread and subsequent destruction of the world. This
led to the questioning of God’s existence as God is supposed to be the gateway to
happiness and salvation. When the Wolvogs, Pigoons and other creations escaped, the
almighty Supreme Being was not there to eliminate them or save the people attacked by
these creatures. When evidence of God is not provided, it becomes difficult to believe
in his existence. Furthermore, when people say he (God) created the world but he is
not there to sustain it, we lose belief in his existence. Throughout history, many
disasters and catastrophes have struck the world, yet there has been no reassurance of
God’s existence. Since World War II, people have questioned God’s existence. There
have been several books published that ask the question and talk about the
repercussions of the event such as “Where Was God?” – by Remkes Kooistra. During
the Holocaust and the ruling of Hitler, people witnessed the world plummet and an
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Purple writing is thesis; if there is any way you can make it into one sentence or make it smoother that would be greatly appreciated. Making transitions if there isn"t any and having those sharp closing statements to relate back to why the book is anti-religious. Third paragraph (body #2) bolded is what needs to be there that i can"t seem to wrap my mind around i would love a good bulllshitting :p. General editing in terms of grammar and paraphrase like crazy! You have the permission to change/alter whatever you"d like if you think it will help . Atwood is making a definitive statement as to whether god created man or whether man created god. Undoubtedly, she is suggesting that man creates god in his own mind. Jimmy uses crake as the creator of the crakers and oryx as the creator of animals.

Get OneClass Grade+

Unlimited access to all notes and study guides.

YearlyMost Popular
75% OFF
$9.98/m
Monthly
$39.98/m
Single doc
$39.98

or

You will be charged $119.76 upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.