CMN 279 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Sentence Clause Structure, Dependent Clause, Indirect Approach

63 views4 pages
21 Apr 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Buffer: 1-3 sentences that smoothens negative news delivery. Explanation: amount of detail is dependent on the audience. Direct approach: negative news before explanation, usually the introduction. Indirect approach: negative news after the explanation, end off with a goodwill closing. Negative news is often the dependent clause. Contrastive conjunction: even though, though, although, despite. Together the contractive conjunction and negative news create the dependent clause. Make sure there is positive news at the end. Even though i have several deadlines approaching, next week is reading week. Passive voice: object + verb + subject, subject is implied you don"t have to write it. Makes it easier and softer on the reader. Aim for positive wording: cut out words like unfortunately as it showcases the onset of negative news, devastating, it saddens me to say, all these words set up a tone of negativity. Avoid using words like i must refuse your claim .

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers