Speech: Starting a Small Businesses and What Makes Them Successful
• Is there something that your really passionate about that you would consider
sharing to the public?
• If your answer is yes then maybe you could consider starting your own small
• Today I am here to talk to you about the key aspects to consider when starting
your own small business.
• Most small businesses start with a single idea and a passion. My grandpa Ron
Toppazzini was a baker that had an idea of opening up a pizza store using his
family recipe for authentic Italian bread in the pizza crust. He was very passionate
about this idea and decided start his own business. What started out as a small
pizza store in Sudbury, turned into a successful franchise company called Toppers
Pizza that now consists of 37 stores all across Ontario.
• Today I will cover these three points
• The advantages and disadvantages of starting a small business
• How to start your own small business
• How to keep your small business running
I will start the disadvantages of starting your own company…
• When starting a small business you must be aware that getting your business off
the ground will take time. Most businesses don’t become profitable right away so
plan for that in your personal life too. You will be making sacrifices to be your
• Running your own business is very timeconsuming. You can rarely leave
business because you are the boss there.
• There is no guarantee of success and a high rate of failure for new businesses.
I will now talk about the advantages of starting your own small business
• Complete freedom to design and manage the business according to your vision.
• Not bound by anyone else’s rules, history or assets because you are your own
• Although there is no guarantee of success if you don’t take the risk you will
never know if you could have been successful. What is life if its not for taking
Now I will be talking to you about the steps involved in starting your own small
1. Put together a business plan.
• You may think putting together a business plan is very complicated, this is not
• It should include • Research into things like how much you can charge for your product or service.
• Should evaluate competitors
o How many competitors
o How strong are they?
o Where are they and how will you compete?
2. Organize your finances
• This should be included in your business plan.
• How will you pay the costs to start and run your business?
o bank loan
o Self finance
o Get a government grant
3. Put together your marketing plan
• Who is your target market? F