Communication
Course
CMN 100
Professor
Thomas Barbiero
Semester
Fall

Description
Speech: Starting a Small Businesses and What Makes Them Successful  Introduction:  • Is there something that your really passionate about that you would consider  sharing to the public?  • If your answer is yes then maybe you could consider starting your own small  business.  • Today I am here to talk to you about the key aspects to consider when starting  your own small business.  • Most small businesses start with a single idea and a passion. My grandpa Ron  Toppazzini was a baker that had an idea of opening up a pizza store using his  family recipe for authentic Italian bread in the pizza crust. He was very passionate  about this idea and decided start his own business. What started out as a small  pizza store in Sudbury, turned into a successful franchise company called Toppers  Pizza that now consists of 37 stores all across Ontario.  • Today I will cover these three points  • The advantages and disadvantages of starting a small business  • How to start your own small business  • How to keep your small business running  I will start the disadvantages of starting your own company…  • When starting a small business you must be aware that getting your business off  the ground will take time. Most businesses don’t become profitable right away so  plan for that in your personal life too. You will be making sacrifices to be your  own boss.  • Running your own business is very time­consuming. You can rarely leave  business because you are the boss there. • There is no guarantee of success and a high rate of failure for new businesses.  I will now talk about the advantages of starting your own small business • Complete freedom to design and manage the business according to your vision.  • Not bound by anyone else’s rules, history or assets because you are your own  boss  • Although there is no guarantee of success if you don’t take the risk you will  never know if you could have been successful. What is life if its not for taking  risks.   Now I will be talking to you about the steps involved in starting your own small  business.  1. Put together a business plan.  • You may think putting together a business plan is very complicated, this is not  true   • It should include  • Research into things like how much you can charge for your product or service.  • Should evaluate competitors  o How many competitors  o How strong are they?  o Where are they and how will you compete?  2. Organize your finances • This should be included in your business plan.  • How will you pay the costs to start and run your business?  o bank loan  o Self finance  o Get a government grant 3. Put together your marketing plan  • Who is your target market? F
More Less

Related notes for CMN 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit