Communication
Course
CMN 124
Professor
John Burry
Semester
Fall

Description
PROFESSIONAL PRESENTATIONS The Two Rules of Successful Presenting 1. Know Your Audience 2. Know your Medium What does the Audience Want to Hear? "There is nothing that people are so interested in as themselves, there own problems, and the way to solve them. That fact is basic...its the primary starting point of all successful public speaking." -- Harry Emerson Frosdick Studying the Audience 1. Demographic analysis:  Age  Gender  Sexual orientation  Religion  Group membership  Racial, ethnic, or cultural background 2. Situational Analysis:  Audience size  Why are they there- what are they expecting from you?  What is their attitude towards you and the subject? Will there be resistance? How will you counter it?  Are there tensions or conflict within the audience?  Is your rank in the organization above or below your audience? What is the level of formality?  Are there decision-makers in the audience? Their concerns?  How knowledgeable are they in the subject area?  What question will they want you to answer?  Three questions for the speaker:  "to whom am I speaking?"  "Whats my purpose? What do I want them to know, believe, or do as a result of my speech?"  "What's the most effective way of composing and presenting my speech to accomplish my purpose?" About the Audience:  Audience perception is selective. People hear what they want to hear. 2. Know your medium  An aural medium is always 'the present tense'/  Content can't be reviewed so it must be simple &clear.  Ideas and information must be easily and quickly comprehended and retained. An effective presentation is designed around a specific (single) purpose. That means you should have something clean and definitive to say and a reason for saying it Giving the Presentation Structure:  Content is simply organized Arranged around a specific purpose (just one)   Clearly identify the main idea listeners are meant to retain  Supporting details should be simplified 2.KNOW YOUR MEDIUM Three common presentation structures: 1. Logical structure:  Organized so listeners know clearly how each point relates to your central purpose.  Use signpost words (my first point, my next point) to guide audience through the presentation 2. Narrative structure:  Information related as an accurate, credible and compelling story. To work, must be well- told interesting and relevant.  An effective way to make you and your ideas memorable.
More Less

Related notes for CMN 124

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit