Week 8- from public sphere to public relations
- Arena of collective self-determination through “the medium of talk”
Habermas: health of public sphere depends on how we argue
- Critical-rational discussion
- Put aside institutional, professional etc biases
- Open to everyone; equal participation
- Separate and independent of authority
- Conversation driven by cooperation to find common ground, not by competition or
Public Sphere: the classical period (18 century)
- Conditions of public sphere’s emergence:
o Printing press
o Middle class
Public Sphere: The Modern Period (late 19 century to 20 century)
- Decline of public sphere due to
o Mass democracy
o Public relations
Public Sphere: has it collapsed over time?
- Critiques of Herbamas’ history of the public sphere
o 1) romanticizing the past?
o 2) overly pessimistic about potential of current public sphere
o 3) internet and other new media: interconnected public spheres or “public sphericules”?
Will Social media help revive the public sphere?
- Centralized - One-to-many transmission
- Most people are receivers, not senders
- Many-to-many transmission
- Former receivers become senders
*** accommodation shifts
Popularization entails a genre shift
- Purpose changes from validity to praise as it goes from peer to public
- Goes from what and how (peer) to so what and now wh