CRI 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Richard Prince, Cloud Computing, Source Code

39 views5 pages

Document Summary

The intentional borrowing, copying, and alteration of preexisting objects and images. Tate gallery traces the practice back to dadaism- art movement of the 20th century european avant-garde. Appropriate for art - using pre existing objects/images with little or no transformation applied to them. New worn recontextualizes whatever it borrows to create the new work. Banksy: social commentary/ critique, andy warhol, campbell"s soup can series (1961) Appropriation of the common, everyday: middle class values, consumerism. In this case, the soup company liked the free publicity: shepard fairey. Associated press pressed for copyright infringement and they settled out of court: both would share the rights to the profits, sherry levine. Belonged to a collection of photographers that looked at artwork in a post modernist fashion. Pic of some pretty bridge and scenery. Banksy copied it and made it a political thing. He (cid:373)ade it i(cid:374)to a (cid:272)o(cid:374)stru(cid:272)tio(cid:374) site; (cid:373)ssg: (cid:449)e"re (cid:373)o(cid:448)i(cid:374)g i(cid:374)to a gar(cid:271)age du(cid:373)p of a (cid:449)orld.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers