CRM 400 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Gradual Civilization Act, Indian Act

80 views3 pages

Document Summary

Crm 400- week 5: making indians gender, governance and status. 1850: an act for the better protection of the lands and property of indians of lower canada: benita lawere(cid:374)(cid:272)e writes you (cid:373)ust u(cid:374)dersta(cid:374)d the i(cid:374)dia(cid:374) a(cid:272)t i(cid:374) order to understand aboriginal cultures. 1857: gradual civilization act: civilizing and enfranchising aboriginal peoples, ideas of property, gender and status, assimilative agenda, embedded in ideas of governance. I(cid:374)dia(cid:374) : colonial legislature is working hard to build in incentives that will lead to indigenous disposition, strong community government. Indian act 2017: 74 (1, allows minister to step in a oppose governance, section 82 (1) and (2), this system of democracy is essential this form of governance that indian affairs cannot control. 2: how band councils operate today and they elect then for 3 years and minster has to approve every bylaw made. Indian act 1876: need to own land privately or less considered trespassing on their own land.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers