EID 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Filter Bubble, Keyword Stuffing, Internet.Org

59 views6 pages
What makes things digital?
Needs to be electronic
o Has 0s and 1s (binary)
o Either on or off (volts)
What is digitizing?
o How do you convert a chair into a digital presence?
o Describe it mathematically and convert it into binary
*To e digital, you do’t eed eletriity or iruitry, you a physially eode soethig
*It’s possile to rite data ito a hard drie ad read it ith eletroi u ould use agetis
Encoding putting into binary
Archival store information
Retrieval decoding information
Transport transport information over large areas efficiency
Accuracy works in absolutes and the accuracy is better than any analog storage
The digital divide
Black girls code an initiative that works against the digital divide by introducing girls of color into the tech world through workshops
and programs
Generally, who is left out?
Blak girls i the alle ad do’t hae aess to oputers
Why?
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Poverty - Pockets of people in the USA do’t hae the chance to access technology
What can be done to fix this problem?
- Start code camps and bring them into technology and gain hands on experience
o When adding network infrastructure to areas impoverished, the output and knowledge in that area grows.
- There’s a growth in entrepreneurship
o Access to funding through donations
- Most of us live in urban centres, once you exit, internet access becomes harder
- The knowledge gap hypothesis information and knowledge is not equally spread out in society
o The fat that ou hae’t ee eposed or been taught certain things at a young age can prevent you from accessing
soethig like the iteret. If u hae’t used a sipe or a tap card, ou’ll e ofused he u use it.
High penetration rates in Canada and USA
Give me an analogy to describe the internet
- Pipelines
- A web
- the grid
- information super highway
- the cloud
Certain areas in Africa are not connected such as the central region
Series of pipelines have 1 connection
What divides?
- global: developed vs undeveloped
- economics: poor vs wealthy
- geographical: urban vs rural areas
- physical: able vs disable
- generational: young vs old
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

*to (cid:271)e digital, you do(cid:374)"t (cid:374)eed ele(cid:272)tri(cid:272)ity or (cid:272)ir(cid:272)uitry, you (cid:272)a(cid:374) physi(cid:272)ally e(cid:374)(cid:272)ode so(cid:373)ethi(cid:374)g. *it"s possi(cid:271)le to (cid:449)rite data i(cid:374)to a hard dri(cid:448)e a(cid:374)d read it (cid:449)ith ele(cid:272)tro(cid:374)i(cid:272) u (cid:449)ould use (cid:373)ag(cid:374)eti(cid:272)s. Transport transport information over large areas efficiency. Accuracy works in absolutes and the accuracy is better than any analog storage. Black girls code an initiative that works against the digital divide by introducing girls of color into the tech world through workshops and programs. Bla(cid:272)k girls i(cid:374) the (cid:448)alle(cid:455) a(cid:374)d do(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e a(cid:272)(cid:272)ess to (cid:272)o(cid:373)puters. Poverty - pockets of people in the usa do(cid:374)"t ha(cid:448)e the chance to access technology. Start code camps and bring them into technology and gain hands on experience: when adding network infrastructure to areas impoverished, the output and knowledge in that area grows. There"s a growth in entrepreneurship: access to funding through donations. Most of us live in urban centres, once you exit, internet access becomes harder.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers