Disability Studies
Course
DST 614
Professor
de
Semester
Spring

Description
Week 9: Interpersonal Violence Assessment Weekly Objectives (Jarvis ch 8) 1. Define the types of interpersonal violence and health care professionals responses to violence 2. Describe the effects of violence on health 3. Describe how to screen and assess for interpersonal violence including intimate partner violence, elder abuse and child abuse 4. Identify indicators and compare the presentations of abuse across the life span 5. Identify legal requirements for reporting suspected cases of child abuse 6. Identify how to assess risk for homicide and danger assessment 7. Describe the components of a health history and physical examination and the elements of documentation to be included in suspected cases of violence 8. Describe the social, cultural, developmental and gender considerations 9. Describe contextual factors that contribute to the high incidence of domestic violence 10. Identify populations who are vulnerable to abuse and neglect 11. Describe communication strategies that can be used with suspected victims and perpetrators of abuse and neglect 12. Discuss approaches to understand and resolve violence as a social concern 13. Conduct an interpersonal violence assessment using on line gaming Interpersonal Violence Intimate partner violence Sexual assault Bullying Horizontal Child abuse neglect Elder abuse neglect Neglect, Emotional, Psychological, Financial, Physical, Sexual Can affect people throughout the lifespan (all ages child to elderly) throughout all culturesgenders, SES, educated or uneducated Narrative Reflection Why do you think individuals do not selfidentify to health care professionals as being abused? Have you ever experienced a form of violence in your life? Violence is . How did you describe it Why did you describe it in this way A Window between Worlds refer to images slide 6 to 10 nonprofit organization in California trying to use artwork to help end domestic violence using art to help as healing tool for people who have experienced violence artwork made by individuals who have been undergone domestic violence To me it means how I got hurt in so many ways so I did my mask this way I didnt realize that abuse doesnt always have to be physical. The majority of abuse in my life has been verbal emotional financial and controlling. I didnt know that being neglected and taken for granted was abuse. I learned very quickly that I just wasnt good enough I may not look like a typical victim of DV [domestic violence] because I am a man. Look around you ... domestic Violence is everywhere! Black, white, tall, short, rich, poor, male, female. All victims suffer in silence. Reel to Real Embodied Responses to Rape (Brukatwit Retta, 2011 Ryerson Student) Interpersonal Violence Intimate partner violence (IPV) including intimate partner violence, sexual assault, child abuse, and elder abuse serious problem that health care providers must recognize, assess and address Physical, sexual, psychological, financial, dominating behaviors (verbal abuse, imprisonment, humiliation, stalking) o Mandatory requirements to report child abuse and some provinces require reporting of elder abuse or abuse of individuals with developmental disabilities o Long lasting health consequences and require a meaningful response by HCP IPV encompasses spousal violence and violence committed by currentformer dating partners Spousal abuse physical or sexual, psychological violence, financial abuse within currentformer marital or commonlaw relationships as well as samesex spousal relationships o Can include verbal abuse, imprisonment, humiliation, stalking or denial of access to financial resources, shelter or services o Gender plays key fact men and boys violence different than women and girls Men: injured in publicsocial venues Women: violence in the home as well as sexual violence (pattern of physical, sexual and emotional Sexual assault Usually occurs within the context of a partner relationship or by a known assailant but may also be perpetrated by a stranger Sexual assault sexual touching crime under criminal code 4 types: o sexual assault that is forced sexual activity without physical injury o sexual assault with a weapon or verbal threats to a third party
More Less

Related notes for DST 614

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit