Economics (1,278)
ECN 204 (348)

Chapter #14 ECN.doc

7 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
ECN 204
Christopher Gore

Chapter #14  Over the long run, real GDP grows about 2% per year on average.  In the short run, GDP fluctuates around its trend.  Recessions: periods of falling real incomes and rising unemployment  Depressions: severe recessions (very rare)  Short-run economic fluctuations are often called business cycles  Explaining these fluctuations is difficult, and the theory of economic fluctuations is controversial.  Most economists use the model of aggregate demand and aggregate supply to study fluctuations.  This model differs from the classical economic theories economists use to explain the long run. Classical Economics—A Recap  Most economists believe classical theory describes the world in the long run, but not the short run.  In the short run, changes in nominal variables (like the money supply or P ) can affect real variables (like Y or the u-rate).  To study the short run, we use a new model. The Basic Model of Aggregate Demand and Aggregate Supply  Economists use the model of aggregate demand and aggregate supply to explain short-run fluctuations in economic activity around its long-run trend.  The aggregate-demand curve shows the quantity of goods and services that households, firms, and the government want to buy at each price level.  The aggregate-supply curve shows the quantity of goods and services that firms choose to produce and sell at each price level. The Wealth Effect (P and C ) Suppose P rises.  The dollars people hold buy fewer g&s, so real wealth is lower.  People feel poorer. Result: C falls. The Interest-Rate Effect (P and I ) Suppose P rises.  Buying g&s requires more dollars.  To get these dollars, people borrow more  This drives up interest rates. Result: I falls. (Recall, I depends negatively on interest rates.) The Exchange-Rate Effect (P and NX ) Suppose P rises.  Real exchange rate = e x P P*  It increases the real exchange rate  Canadian exchange rate appreciates.  Canadian exports more expensive to people abroad, imports cheaper to Canadian residents. Result: NX falls. Why the AD Curve Might Shift  Changes in C • Stock market boom/crash • Preferences re: consumption/saving tradeoff • Tax hikes/cuts  Changes in I • Firms buy new computers, equipment, factories • Expectations, optimism/pessimism • Interest rates, monetary policy • Investment Tax Credit or other tax incentives  Changes in G • Federal spending, e.g., defense • Provincial & municipal spending, e.g., roads, schools  Changes in NX • Booms/recessions in countries that buy our exports, e.g. recession in the U.S. • Appreciation/depreciation resulting from international speculation in foreign exchange market Active Learning #1 What happens to the AD curve in each of the following scenarios? • A ten-year-old investment tax credit expires. o I falls, AD curve shifts left • The Canadian exchange rate falls. o NX rises, AD curve shifts right • A fall in prices increases the real value of consumers’ wealth. o Move down along AD curve (wealth- effect) • Provincial governments replace sales taxes with o C rises, AD shifts right Why the LRAS Curve Might Shift  Changes in L or natural rate of unemployment • Immigration • Baby-boomers retire • Govt policies reduce natural u- rate  Changes in K or H • Investment in factorie
More Less

Related notes for ECN 204

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.