Economics (1,278)
ECN 340 (200)

Chapter 8.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
ECN 340
Thomas Barbiero

Chapter 8: Exploitation of Affections - In a loving relationship, one person is concerned about the welfare of the other - Each person in the relationship is both donor of gifts and a recipient - Each person realizes there is an unwritten social contract between the two: try to make the other person happy The Affection Model - Donor of a gift receives pleasure from giving to the recipient – the less expensive gift the more often he/she will give – recall the downward sloping demand curve - Gifts can be in the form of money, a box of candy, simply listening to the other person, or providing a sexual experience - Gifts are given until MC = MB - But there is a possibility of exploitation! - The recipient can subtly say, give me this amount or I will take nothing (deny you the pleasure of seeing me happy)! - If the recipient asks for “too much”, the donor may be better off giving nothing - The ability to extract a larger quantity from the donor depends on the number of alternative recipients for the gift - The exploitation of the donor will occur only to the extent that the recipient is unconcerned about the welfare of the donor - If the recipient cares, then any reduction in the donor’s welfare will be a reduction in the recipient’s welfare (“Your happiness is my happiness”, and vice versa) Romantic Relationships - Defn: my happiness depends on the happiness of the person I love - If I care about my wife, she can make me do things for I ordinarily would not do - But if she asks for too much, I can drop her even if I still love her! - “Women’s Liberation Movem
More Less

Related notes for ECN 340

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.