ENH 821 Lecture 3: Public Health Policy

134 views3 pages

Document Summary

Be aware of the different responsibilities of the agencies in canada. Health canada: hires public health nurses, provide services to first nation and inuit communities, regulates the safety o food and products such as pharmaceuticals and tobacco, respo(cid:374)si(cid:271)le for developi(cid:374)g a(cid:374)d issui(cid:374)g ca(cid:374)ada"s food guide. Pu(cid:271)li(cid:272) poli(cid:272)y referred to (cid:862)wi(cid:272)ked pro(cid:271)le(cid:373)s(cid:863: not a simple solution, complex issue, controversial problems. What are examples of proactive policy: pandemic preparedness (for example h1n1, nuclear planning, climate change (lyme disease, west nile virus) What are some ways we can identify a problem in a public health setting: media reports. I(cid:374)(cid:272)rease i(cid:374) health issues or tre(cid:374)ds i(cid:374) the health populatio(cid:374) (it"s do(cid:374)e through surveillance) Scientific model: not effective for complex solutions because of unknown factors, inconclusive evidence and. Linear controversial viewpoints from stake holders: negative. Ignores the role of people: puts more emphasis on data. Small changes: conservative, make small modifications of existing policy to increase effectiveness, requires us to review past policy, negative.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers