Environment and Urban Sustainability
Course
EUS 202
Professor
Christopher Greene
Semester
Winter

Description
URBAN FOOD SYSTEMS Food Systems:  how food is grown  “”transported  “”processed, packaged, sold  management of food waste Canadian Food System  shift to manufacturing: ^urban areas & ^ farm size (from depopulation)  Green Revolution: more food from fewer people o innovations: ^yield seeds, synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, water management o chemical companies = warfare after WWII  local food=>central/industrial/corporate system  distance from field to fork =^^^ Food and Energy  energy lost: energy-intensive farming practice, long distance transportation, processing Food Miles  professor Tim Long  distance from field to consumer o farm to processing o processing to storage o storage to vendors o vendors to consumer  ^food travels = ^environmental impact  Locavore benefits o ^effect on local economies o ^food security o reduce GHG emissions  calculation avoided: GHG’s produced through entire lifecycle & discrimination with modes of transportation  seasonality & choice Consequences for Locavorism  developing nations: economy relies on agricultural reports Negative externalities related to North American Food System  pollution (i.e. pesticides & fertilizers)  threats to biodiversity (i.e. GMO’s & non-native species) URBAN FOOD SYSTEMS  moving impacts of food production  moving food security burdens  declining productivity over time Sustainable Food System  ecological/social/economic health of communities  protect & enhance land quality of food  ^local production & communities  ^well-being of communities (i.e. ^health)  ^environmental conditions: reduce pollution/GHG/chemical fertilizer & pesticides 3 Common Terms o Food Security: everyone has access to safe and good food; no concern with how/where produced o Food Self-sufficiency: ability to meet its own food needs locally; no concern with how produced o food sovereignty: right to control own food system (local markets, ecological resources, food cultures) o ^productivity& protecting biodiversity/soil fertility Sustainable Food Policy  Interactions: Urban Agriculture Farmers Grocery Provision Availability Waste Management market Stores of low of Street cost food meals Where food is Zoning, size Food Permitting Regulation & grown (i.e. permitting, banks/sta infrastructure/programs balconies) & bylaws mps for recovers & (where/how composting food waste operate) What can be Location Homeless Location grown (i.e. ban on (zoning) shelter backyard chicken in tdot) Where sale is Open Soup Safety allowed hours kitchen  Example: policy objectives to strengthen food security, self- sufficiency, sovereignty o protection of existing agricultural parcels: land use planning, zoning, bylaws URBAN FOOD SYSTEMS o centralization of food production, storage, processing, distribution: markets, “food hub”, restaurants o developing new methods to manage food waste: collection & composting; diversion of excess food to the needy(low$ store, food banks) Benefits:  many places to grow food in urban area (i.e. park, vacant lot, roof)
More Less

Related notes for EUS 202

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit