The Eurocentric Fashion System
Why is Paris considered the Fashion Capital? Can it be challenged?
What are the “new” non-Western fashion capitals?
What makes a fashion city?
- Fashion is organized around a network of Fashion Capitals (Paris, Milan, New York, London)
- They set the trends (the cities)
- 80’s – Big Five (When Tokyo was added to the list)
- Paris is always known at the “Capital of Fashion” (despite having 5 cities)
Why is Paris the Fashion Capital?
Charles Worth – The Father of Haute Couture
- 1858, when Charles Worth established his fashion house
- Design: Combined knowledge pf historic costume with new fashion ideas, paid close attention to
the fit of garments, ensured high standard of tailo