FSN 221 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Cultural Appropriation
26 views1 pages
Fashion Cycles, Symbols, and Flows
1. What is a theory?
2. What are fashion cycles and flows?
- Trickle-up, down, and across
- Cultural appropriation
3. How do I interpret fashion?
- Fashion trends start among the elite or fashion leaders and move down to the masses of fashion
- Elites -> Mass Population
- Fashion trends start among the masses (youth, sub-cultures), and move upward to the fashion
leavers and elites
- Mass Population -> Elites
- Fashion moves horizontally from fashion leaders to masses at the same social level
The Harm of Cultural Appropriation
1. Misrepresentation of culture
2. Dehumanizes and devalues
3. Removes context and meaning