GEO 509 Sept 17, 2018
• It’s illegal as of today to manufacture/import trans (hydrogenated) fats in Canada!
• Trans fats are now labelled as a contaminant
o Hydrogenated oils/fats are usually to replace animal fats, since vegetable vats are
usually liquid at room temperature; hydrogenating makes them solid and tasty
o Also gives products a longer shelf life
o Trans fats are associated with a greater risk of stroke, coronary heart disease, and
sudden cardiac death
o It is estimated that there will be 12,000 fewer cases of the condition within the next 20
Concluding the Introduction…
• There are lots of foods with place names…
o Baked Alaska, bologna, Boston cream pie, Brazil nuts, Brie, Brussel Sprouts, Buffalo
• …and lots of places with food names!
o Cookietown, Oniontown, Pietown, Popcorn, Sandwich, Spuds, Toast, Tea, Turkey,
Chicken, Walnut Cake, Two Eggs
• The earliest demonstrable human habit is picking teeth!
• ~1/3 of the Earth’s surface is devoted to agriculture
• 45% of the working population is farmers
• Agriculture began ~10,000 years ago (fairly recently)
o It transformed landscapes across the Earth’s surface
o Transformed soil texture
o Changed technology, defined territory, forced cooperation between industries
o Domesticated horses, oxen, other animals
• Secrets of food
o Lots of cultures and people groups hide things from others!
▪ Secret recipes
▪ Spices from Malaka, hidden from Europe for a long time
▪ Secret cod fisheries in North America
“Physiology of Taste” Brillat-Savarin
• “Tell me what you eat and I’ll tell you what you are”
“The Rituals of Dinner”
• A meal is an artistic social construct. The way you eat a meal says a lot about you. Ethnicity,
• Food reveals a lot about you!
“The Omnivore’s Dilemma” Michael Pollan
• We are all corn oil people