2 Pages

Department
Geography
Course Code
GEO 509
Professor
Hersch Jacobs
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
GEO 509 Sept 17, 2018
It’s illegal as of today to manufacture/import trans (hydrogenated) fats in Canada!
Trans fats are now labelled as a contaminant
o Hydrogenated oils/fats are usually to replace animal fats, since vegetable vats are
usually liquid at room temperature; hydrogenating makes them solid and tasty
o Also gives products a longer shelf life
o Trans fats are associated with a greater risk of stroke, coronary heart disease, and
sudden cardiac death
o It is estimated that there will be 12,000 fewer cases of the condition within the next 20
years
Concluding the Introduction…
There are lots of foods with place names
o Baked Alaska, bologna, Boston cream pie, Brazil nuts, Brie, Brussel Sprouts, Buffalo
Wings
…and lots of places with food names!
o Cookietown, Oniontown, Pietown, Popcorn, Sandwich, Spuds, Toast, Tea, Turkey,
Chicken, Walnut Cake, Two Eggs
The earliest demonstrable human habit is picking teeth!
~1/3 of the Earth’s surface is devoted to agriculture
45% of the working population is farmers
Agriculture began ~10,000 years ago (fairly recently)
o It transformed landscapes across the Earth’s surface
o Transformed soil texture
o Changed technology, defined territory, forced cooperation between industries
(irrigation, society)
o Domesticated horses, oxen, other animals
Secrets of food
o Lots of cultures and people groups hide things from others!
Secret recipes
Spices from Malaka, hidden from Europe for a long time
Secret cod fisheries in North America
“Physiology of Taste” Brillat-Savarin
“Tell me what you eat and I’ll tell you what you are
“The Rituals of Dinner”
A meal is an artistic social construct. The way you eat a meal says a lot about you. Ethnicity,
culture, family
Food reveals a lot about you!
“The Omnivore’s Dilemma” Michael Pollan
We are all corn oil people

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
GEO 509 Sept 17, 2018 Its illegal as of today to manufactureimport trans (hydrogenated) fats in Canada! Trans fats are now labelled as a contaminant o Hydrogenated oilsfats are usually to replace animal fats, since vegetable vats are usually liquid at room temperature; hydrogenating makes them solid and tasty o Also gives products a longer shelf life o Trans fats are associated with a greater risk of stroke, coronary heart disease, and sudden cardiac death o It is estimated that there will be 12,000 fewer cases of the condition within the next 20 years Concluding the Introduction There are lots of foods with place names o Baked Alaska, bologna, Boston cream pie, Brazil nuts, Brie, Brussel Sprouts, Buffalo Wings and lots of places with food names! o Cookietown, Oniontown, Pietown, Popcorn, Sandwich, Spuds, Toast, Tea, Turkey, Chicken, Walnut Cake, Two Eggs The earliest demonstrable human habit is picking teeth! ~13 of the Earths surface is devoted to agriculture 45 of the working population is farmers Agriculture began ~10,000 years ago (fairly recently) o It transformed landscapes across the Earths surface o Transformed soil texture o Changed technology, defined territory, forced cooperation between industries (irrigation, society) o Domesticated horses, oxen, other animals Secrets of food o Lots of cultures and people groups hide things from others! Secret recipes Spices from Malaka, hidden from Europe for a long time Secret cod fisheries in North America Physiology of Taste BrillatSavarin Tell me what you eat and Ill tell you what you are The Rituals of Dinner A meal is an artistic social construct. The way you eat a meal says a lot about you. Ethnicity, culture, family Food reveals a lot about you! The Omnivores Dilemma Michael Pollan We are all corn oil people
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit