Geography (1,031)
GEO 151 (25)

Geo 151-3.docx

10 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
GEO 151
Steven Swales

Geo 151 nd rd Dates: October 22 /23 test Evaluate: Impression of your neighbourhood, and what is the relationship to the demographics (dynamic and developing, or stable and established, terrain vs landscape, activity, transit and characteristic relationship) Brownfield sites: development on top of already developed land (industrial) - Waterfront development was key with industrial growth (heavy transportation) o Once passed the transportation use (and industrial use is gone) it becomes as an attractive feature for living standards - Growth population usually extends people to suburbs versus adding depth to the city of Toronto - Now that green space is running low for development, the direction of change has moved to up - Strategies to add depth/growth: o Avenue strategy: identify areas with good avenues and develop up for higher density o Multiple Downtowns: encouraging depth (downtown north york) o Brown Field Sites: - Location of the market versus the location of the raw materials (i.e. steel) - Industry today is much more “footloose” (lighter/mobile material versus heavy for transportation)  water and railway not a necessity for transportation with lighter material - High tech industry will look for high intellectual staff as opposed to hard larbour workers (location) Week 1 Lecture - Population growth through migration (immigration and outmigration) and natural change (illness, disaster etc.) - Migrants tend to be youthful witch brings a natural growth in population - Industrial land is vacated (move from heavy material to light/footloose)  also was not as reliant on transportation routes of water and railways - 27% of all housing is occupied by one person living arrangements (condo developments) - Demographics: total numbers, household numbers, ethics - Higher density locations may attract more deviant behaviour - Baby boomers typically failed to reproduce themselves (families of 6 would not have 6 children each) - Themes of the baby boomers highly impact the market (housing market to retirement) - Harbourfront condominiums are right against the gardener and water which infringes on public space and scenery (city must accommodate the growth) - Buildings tend to have smaller frontages (built higher instead) for a more affordable space o Technology also affected the size of space that was built (pillars versus modern day concrete and steel) - Avenues in Toronto are underdeveloped o Key avenues (Spadina, Danforth) have good transportation and allow higher density growth - The female role enables them to use transit more frequently (shopping) o Also, if there is only one vehicle the male will usually have control or required the car - Lecture 3 Nuclear Family household seen as typical - Males versus females more likely to stay at home - Couples without children have grown significantly (parents are growing more and more likely to have less or no children) - Number of people living alone (single person household) is higher than couples with children (in households) - Families more likely to live in suburbs, whereas single person households would be downtown/along transit routes - Younger generation is less likely to have a need for automobiles due to the upbringing with public transit (less of a stagnant) o As well as differently cultures o Many parts of the world public transit is very efficient (cost and time) - Public transit  high density, extremely expensive to build o When public transit was owned by private companies, it made more sense to invest in highway development then smaller subway stops (60 km of highway was $1bill vs 1 subway stop of 6 km at $1 bil) - Rat runners around congestion zones (i.e. 407 toll road) o Flat entry fee - Green vehicles may avoid certain tolls or costs due to their pollution efficiency - H.O.V. lanes (high occupancy vehicles  carpool 2 or more people lanes) - Choropleth maps  shade maps o The intensity of the shade suggest different values (i.e. income) - Census traps - CMA’s  census metropolitan area (37 total in Canada) o Core population of at least 100 thousand o Includes areas around that are functionally linked through commuting o Commute and linkages allow outer areas to be included in the CMA (i.e. Etobicoke is included in Toronto) (in and out of city)  To be considered included in the CMA for the outer areas (Etobicoke) must have 25% of the employed labour force to commute to the city o 37 CMA’s in Canada o Toronto biggest CMA in Canada - Distance decay look up - Strong connection between homes of shoplifters and income - Cholera death (look up) association and space o More than 1 characteristics - Postal codes are used to generate various geographical analysis - Through loyalty cards or own master cards, businesses get your consistent business, your information, as well as your debt (who you are, what purchases you made and where) o Digitally explore shopping relationships Lecture 5 Diffusion and gravity models - Gravity models  a form of social physics (gravity is relative to the greater the mass the greater the pull) o Cluster in the gravity models make strong connection of variable to the surrounding people o People from outskirts will travel through possible intervening in order to get to the main attraction o Larger the place the more likely it will reduce the distance issue  i.e. shopping facilities (eaton center) - Disincentive nature of distance/friction of distance - Intervening opportunities - Gravity models - Diffusions o Contagious diffusion (i.e. like a cold, knowledge in class) o Innovation Diffusion (i.e. technology received in big places first, then diffused through the urban system)  However, as a testing strategy they may try an idea in a smaller location before going to the bigger places to diffuse down - Retail chain/Franchise Chain (i.e. Tim Hortons) o 4 or more stores in the same line of business and under the same management o Most store are independent stores - Range o How to identify where people come from o Forward saltation areas (first 3 digits of postal code)  Postal code is quicker than full address  Unique to your area (versus 25 queen street can be multiple locations)  Not as intrusive as address o Distance Decay  closer you are to a location, the more interaction (cluster)  Ones further away may be experiencing intervening opportunities o Anomaly’s/Outliers  non residential or industrial areas  Home postal code could be further away from a location, but work could be close (explain an outlier)  Underground path system is extremely dependent on people that a0re away from their home Next Lecture - GreaterTorontoHamiltonArea o A weakness for future growth is the transit system o Lack of availability for affordable housing - Range (continued) o Further away the less interaction o Range of a shopping mall is much larger then that of a convenience store - Francophone Yuppies: o Francophone: French-speaking o Yuppies: young professional adults (middle-high class) o Part of the census tracking (language, age group, occupation/income) o This CMA connects Ontario and Quebec o Connects political entities o Only 5 CMA’s have all three symbols (square, triangle, circle) o Target Marketing: i.e. through mail (specific dedicated areas), billboards (specific area)  Less cost  Not just who they are, but where they are - Desire Map/Spider Map - Connects areas to desired destinations o Illustrates the concept of change and mobility o The market has increased mobility o Service sector businesses must respond to that o i.e. Megaplaex’s  Instead of one little one in every neighbourhood, there is one massive one o Gravity principles dominate intervening opportunities  Largest destination - Changing Mobility - Private Sector- pursuing profit o If hospital, put in location for efficiency - Public Sector o Shoppers Drugmart provides medication and supplies for everyone - Externality: unintentional third party effects o I.e. living next door to a fire station, the house would hear the sirens every day, but would be the closest response in case of danger - Retail Strategies o Airport: people arrive hours before their flights, in an environment they cant leave, and are surrounded by retail shops (duty free, clothing stores etc) o Megaplexes are big within power centers: clusters of big box retails, Power centers not enclosed like a mall o Power Nodes: surrounding an intersection
More Less

Related notes for GEO 151

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.