Perils of Food
(Image of human evolution to a fat person) explanation: - Growing concerns of appropriate eating
- Why is the global population becoming larger
- One reason we’re getting bigger: Eating more fast food (more fat)
- The Economist article based on lansat (medical journal), compared levels of obesity through
geographical patterns . Also talked about historical patterns (how have people changed in terms
of weight, over time). The articles looked at Time and Space
o It found with one small exception, obesity was a “rich man/womans disease” in the
- If you have a BMI of under 18.5, you are too thin
- 18.5-24.9 you are normal
- If you are between 25-29.9 you are overweight
Productivity Map: designed to suggest that certain kinds of food have certain kinds of functions. i.e.
foods that improve our digestion and contribute to sleep.
Energy and Brain Foods:
- Lima beans
2012 marks an important anniversary:
- Is the 100 anniversary of the discovery of vitamins (discovered in 1912)
o The reason food is beneficial for us related to the vitamin content in large measures
o Discovered by a Dutch man, Cornelius Pekelharing
- We all need 50 essential nutrients. 15 consist of vitamins. 15 essential vitamins humans need to
be healthy. 21 are minerals. 11 are amino acids.
o Main point: when we talk about nutrition, it is essentially an exercise in taking from our
diets, and ensuring that they are available to our cells and body tissues.
o Optimal nutrition: there is an appropriate balance in nutrition.
- The single most important thing that ages us is diet. Not eating properly contributes to getting
diabetes, it exposures our likely hood of cancers, it is a major factor in explaining high blood pressure (hypertension), diet is responsible to some ex