Global Management Studies
Course
GMS 200
Professor
Rodney Umrah
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter 6 Planning Processes and Techniques Why and How Managers Plan? Planning Plan (statement of intended means for accomplishing objectives) - The process of setting objectives and determining how to best accomplish them. - Deine your objectives ( specific results that one wishes to achieve) - Determine where you stand vis-à-vis objectives - Develop premises regarding future conditions - Analyze and choose among action alternatives - Implement the plan and evaluate results Benefits of Planning o Improves focus and flexibility  Knows its core competence  Knows customer needs  Adapt to shifting circumstances o Improves action orientation  Stay ahead of completion  Avoids complacency trap – being carried along by the flow of events o Stephen R Covey on priorites:  Makes companies results-oriented  Makes companies priority-oriented  Makes companies advantage-oriented  Makes companies change-oriented o Improves Time Management  “ Im locked in by meetings, travel and other constraints….i have to put down in priority things I like to do”. Daniel Vasella, CEO Novartis AG  “ No one can reach me by phone and I can get reading and thinking done” Kathleen Murphy, CEO ING US Wealth Management o Personal Time management Tips  Do say “no” to requests that distract from what you should be doing.  Don’t get bogged down in details that can be addressed later  Do prioritize your important and urgent work  Don’t become calendar bound by letting others control your schedule  Do follow priorities; do most important and urgent work first. Types of Plans Used by Managers - I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul. ( William E Henley. 1875) o Response to henleys statement  Not without a plan you’re not - Short Range and long range plans o Shore range plans = 1 year or less o Intermediate range plans = 1 to 2 years o Long range plans = 3 or more years - Senior executives deal with strategic plans - Middle managers deal with tactical plans o Helps to implement all or parts of a strategic plan o Intermediate term plans that specify how resources will be used to put strategies together - Line managers deal with operational plans o Activities to be done in the short term to implement the strategic plans o Include plans used on many occasions such as policies Discussion question: Is there any real value to long term planning in today’s rapidly changing environment? - long term plan but adapting to changes that are happening short term so it is a good thing to have a plan for the future Planning Tools and Techniques Forecasting o Making assumptions about what will happen in the future o Qualitative forecasting uses expert opinions o Quantitative forecasting uses mathematical and statistical analysis o All forecasts rely on human judgment o Planning involves deciding on how to deal with the implications of a forecast Contingency Planning o Identifying alternative courses of action that can be implemented if circu
More Less

Related notes for GMS 200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit