Leading and Leadership Development
Leadership is the process of inspiring others to work hard to accomplish important tasks.
What is leading?
- Guide the team
- Inspire the team
- Influence the team
- Motivate the team
Leadership and power
- Leadership begins with the way a manager uses power to influence the behavior of
- Power is the ability to get someone else to do something you want done or to make
things happen the way you want
Sources of Power
- Reward power – influencing others by offering something of value
- Coercion power – influencing others by means of punishing them or withholding positive
- Legitimacy power – influencing others by authority
- Influencing others based on ones knowledge or skills
- Holding the workers at ransom because you how to do it
- Influencing others because they admire you and want to indentify positively with you
- Charismatic leaders
- A leader who brings to the situation a clear and compelling sense of the future as well as
an understanding of the actions needed to get there successfully
- Visionary leaders challenge process, show enthusiasm help others to act sets the
example and celebrates achievements.
- Commitment to serving others
- Followers more important than leader
- Other centered not self centered
- Focuses on empowerment not power
Is there a no specific personal trait?
Traits that are important o Drive
o Self confidence
o Cognitive ability
o Business knowledge