GMS 200 (1,233)

GMS200 Lecture 5

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Global Management Studies
GMS 200
Shavin Malhotra

LECTURE 5SHAVIN MALHOTRA Global Dimensions of ManagementCulture is a set of assumptions and values that are shared by a group of people and that guide that group of peoples interactions with each other o Culture is very difficult to change as the values are deeply rootedValues values are the stable core of culture They are strong unconscious emotions with a minus and a plus pole likeEvilgoodDangeroussafeDirtycleanUglybeautifulAbnormalnormal o What is normal is a matter of values Organizational cultureOrganizational culture is the system of shared beliefs and values that develops within an organization and guides the behaviour of its membersCulture is firms personality helps to distinguish it from othersHewlettPackard o when I come back next year I do not want to see that project in the labDavid PackardRecent study by waterstone human capital ltd And canadian business including indepth interviews with senior canadian executives at 107 companies o 82 of execs said corporate culture has an impact on financial performance o 82 of execs said it has tangible impact on their organizations ability to recruit manage and retain the best people o 20 of execs said corporate culture is their companys primary driver of successAir canada vs west jetWhat constitutes CultureInnovation and risk taking o Apple o Coca colaAttention to detail o Motorola quality is their driving themeOutcome orientation results more important than processes Where does culture come fromFounders o By acting as a role modelAkio morita of sonyBill gates of microsoftBy hiring and keeping similar employees Strong culturesPros and cons
More Less

Related notes for GMS 200

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.