Global Management Studies
Course
GMS 200
Professor
Jian Guan
Semester
Winter

Description
GMS 200 – LECTURE 2 JAN.23.2012 Chapter 11 – Leadership Study Questions 1. What is the nature of leadership? 2. What are the important traits and behaviours? 3. What are the contingency theories of leadership 4. What is transformational leadership? 5. What are current issues…? Study Questions discussed 1. The process of inspiring others to work hard to accomplish important tasks a. Power – ability to persuade one else to do something you want done or make things happens the way you want b. Power should be used to influence and control others for common good rather for personal satisfaction c. Two sources of managerial power i. Position power 1. Based on manager’s official status in the organization’s hierarchy of authority 2. Sources of position power: a. Reward power – capability to offer something of value b. Coercive power – capability to punish c. Legitimate power – demand tasks due to authority ii. Personal Power – based on the unique personal qualities that a person brings to the leadership situation 1. Sources of personal power a. Expert power- capacity to influence others because of one’s knowledge and skills b. Referent power – capacity to influence others because they admire you and want to identify positively with you d. Turning power into influence… i. Successful leadership relies on acquiring and using all sources of power ii. Use of reward can influence managerial power e. Keys to building managerial power: i. Likable personal qualities are very important ii. Effort and hard work breed respect iii. Personal behaviour must support expressed values f. Power and influence are affected by workplace structures and network: i. Centrality - ii. Criticality - iii. Visibility – g. Acceptance theory of authority – i. For a leader to achieve true influence, the other person must: 1. Truly understand the directive 2. Feel capable of carrying out the directive 3. Believe the directive is in the organization’s best interests 4. Believe the directive is consistent with personal values h. Leadership and empowerment i. Empowerment – the process through which managers enable and help others to gain power and achieve influence ii. Effective leaders empower others by providing them with : 1. Information, responsibility, authority and Trust i. How leaders can empower others: i. Involve others, create an environment of cooperation, encourage others to take initiative, make decisions, and use their knowledge, recognize their success 2. What are the important traits and behaviour? a. Classic leadership styles: i. Autocratic style – emphasizes task over people, keeps authority and information within the leader’s tight control and acts in a unilateral command and control fashion ii. Laissez-faire style – shows little concern for task, allows group decisions and acts with a “do the best you can attitude” iii. Democratic - 3. What are the contingency theories of leadership? a. Fiedler’s contingency model i. Good leadership depends on a match between leadership and situational demands ii. Determining leadership style 1. Low LPC – task motivated leaders 2. High LPC – relationship motivated leaders b. Hersey Blandchard situational leadership model i. Leaders adjust their styles depending on the readiness of their followers to perform 1. Delegating – allowing the group to take responsibility for task decisions 2. Participating – emphasizing shared ideas 3. Selling – explaining task directions in a supportive & persuasive way 4. Telling – giving specific task directions & closely supervising work c. House’s path goal leadership theory i. Effective leadership deals with the paths through which followers can achieve goals ii. Leadership styles for dealing with path-goal relationships 1. Directive leadership 2. Supportive leadership 3. Achievement-oriented leadership 4. Participative leadership d. Vroom-Jago leader-participation theory i. Helps leaders choose the method of decision making that best fits the nature of the problem 1. Individual, consultative, group 4. What is transformational leadership? a. Superleaders – persons whose vision and strength of personality have an extraordinary impact on others b. Charismatic leaders – develop special leader-follower relationship and inspire others in extraordinary ways 5. Contemporary leadership challenges: a. Shorter time frames for accomplishing things b. Expectations for success on the first attempt c. Complex, ambiguous, and multidimensional problems d. Taking a long-term view while meeting short-term demands 6. Visionary leadership a. Vision – a future that one hopes to create or achieve
More Less

Related notes for GMS 200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit