Global Management Studies
Course
GMS 200
Professor
Horatio Morgan
Semester
Fall

Description
Global Dimensions of Management Chapter 3 Lecture 3 Part 1 Part 1: International Business Why do companies go abroad?  To access to new markets or customers (this point most important)  To establish connections to foreign suppliers of raw materials  To tap into chapter funding sources (banks, venture capitalists)  To take advantage of relatively abundant low-wage unskilled labour (cheap labour) Immigration policy prevents low wage workers to come to Canada so businesses go to them Common Market Entry Strategies Exporting (most common, least risky)  Direct exporting – selling directly to foreign customers o Advantages: Establish and maintain relationship with foreign customers; control pricing decisions o Disadvantages: May demand managerial time and significant financial commitment  Indirect exporting – selling to foreign customers through an agent or distributor o Advantages: requires limited financial commitment and knowledge of foreign markets o Disadvantages: no contact with foreign customers; smaller profit margin; lose opportunity to learn about foreign markets. o Licensing  Licensing agreement: an international marketer (i.e licensor) me permit another company to use intellectual capital (IP) such as trademarks in exchange for compensation in royalty fees  Royalty fees (i.e 10% of sales) may reduce the profit margin of the license, but yield several benefits o Global trademark allows the company to quickly become international without having to spend considerable time and money in developing its own brand QSR= Quick Service Restaurants Top 10 Global Franchises 1. Mcdonalds 2. Subway 3. KFC 4. Burger King 5. 7-Eleven 6. InterContinental Hotels 7. Pitta Hut 8. Snap-on Tools 9. Taco Bell 10. Ramada Worldwide Easier to go abroad with a restaurant International Joint Ventures  Objectives: Reliance – natural gas production was due to the company’s inability to undertake exploration in deep-> it lacked advanced technolo
More Less

Related notes for GMS 200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit