Chapter 7 Lecture Notes

8 Pages

Department
Global Management Studies
Course Code
GMS 200
Professor
Sui Sui

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 8 pages of the document.
GMS 200 Chapter 7 Lecture Information and decision making
Study Questions
1.How is information technology changing in the workplace
2.What is the role of info in the management process?
3.How to managers use information to make decisions?
4.What are the steps in the decision making process?
5.What are the current issues in managerial decision making?
CASE: Changes youll see in 2010
N 1950 a magazine called popular mechanics attempted to predict the future in an
article entitled miracles youll see in the next fifty years
Many predictions were wildly off the mark. Other guesses (Womens movements
and internet) were much closer to todays reality
www.acenture.com retail 2020
Green Retailing
Premium payments for environment friendly products more low energy
products and the creating of new higher standards for ethical trading
Individual Service
Service will become an even more finely calibrated proposition between
retailer and customer and service components will evolve increasingly
from reactive to predictive
Going for growth
Growth in terms of the multiplicity of geographic online and format
offerings with purchasing available in store online or through call centers
Wont change
Companies that can react swiftly to market trends and repond relevantly to
new customer behaviors wil achieve high performance and growth despite
marketplace conditions
Question 1: How is information technology changing in the workplace
Information and knowledge
www.notesolution.com
Knowledge worker
Who are knowledge workers
oPeople with strong knowledge in their field, as well as intellectual capital :
Engineers, Doctors, Professors
Can knowledge workers only be found in high tech industries?
oNo, they can be found also in finance industries
oThere is an increasing trend of knowledge workers
Intellectual Capital
oShared knowledge of a workforce that can be used to create wealth
Information and knowledge
The productivity of knowledge and knowledge workers depends on computer and
information competency
How can managers to enhance the productivity of knowledge workers
oHigh salary
oFreedom
oFlexibility
What is the work environment that will attract the new generation of knowledge
CASE: Quality of work life Google
Google is known for having informal corporate culture
On fortune magazines list of best companies, Google was ranked as first in 2007
Philosophy embodies casual principles
oYou can make money without doing evil
oYou can be serious without a suit
oAnd work should be challenging and challenge should be fun
As motivation technique they use innovation time off, where engineers are
encouraged to take 20 percent of their time to work on company related that
interests them personally
www.notesolution.com
People work better when theyre involved in something they are passionate
about, many cool technologies have their origins in this 20 percent time including
GMAIL google NEWS and AdSense
When you give employees the chance to apply their passion they can do amazing
things
Continuation of Question 1 . . .
Electronic Commerce
The process of buying and selling goods and services electronically through use of
the internet
oAmazon, E-bay, Craigslist
What are the implications of IT within organizations Eg. Retail industry
Figure 7.1: IT breaks barriers and changes organizations
Suppliers -> Supply chain management is improved by IT connections
Stragegic Partners -> More things are done by outsourcing and partnerships using IT
Customers -> Customer relationship management s improved by IT connections
People teams and departments are better connected by IT
Organizations are flatter as IT replaces management Levels
Question 2: What is the roe of information in the management process?
What is useful information
Data
Information
What are the differences between data and information
What are the characteristics of useful information
Information needs of organizations
Information exchanges with the external environment
oGather intelligence information
oProvide public information
Information exchanges within the organization
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
GMS 200 Chapter 7 Lecture Information and decision making Study Questions 1. How is information technology changing in the workplace 2. What is the role of info in the management process? 3. How to managers use information to make decisions? 4. What are the steps in the decision making process? 5. What are the current issues in managerial decision making? CASE: Changes you’ll see in 2010 N 1950 a magazine called popular mechanics attempted to predict the future in an article entitled miracles you’ll see in the next fifty years Many predictions were wildly off the mark. Other guesses (Women’s movements and internet) were much closer to today’s reality www.acenture.com retail 2020 Green Retailing Premium payments for environment friendly products more low energy products and the creating of new higher standards for ethical trading Individual Service Service will become an even more finely calibrated proposition between retailer and customer and service components will evolve increasingly from reactive to predictive Going for growth Growth in terms of the multiplicity of geographic online and format offerings with purchasing available in store online or through call centers Wont change Companies that can react swiftly to market trends and repond relevantly to new customer behaviors wil achieve high performance and growth despite marketplace conditions Question 1: How is information technology changing in the workplace Information and knowledge www.notesolution.com Knowledge worker Who are knowledge workers o People with strong knowledge in their field, as well as intellectual capital : Engineers, Doctors, Professors Can knowledge workers only be found in high tech industries? o No, they can be found also in finance industries o There is an increasing trend of knowledge workers Intellectual Capital o Shared knowledge of a workforce that can be used to create wealth Information and knowledge The productivity of knowledge and knowledge workers depends on computer and information competency How can managers to enhance the productivity of knowledge workers o High salary o Freedom o Flexibility What is the work environment that will attract the new generation of knowledge CASE: Quality of work life – Google Google is known for having informal corporate culture On fortune magazines list of best companies, Google was ranked as first in 2007 Philosophy embodies casual principles o You can make money without doing evil o You can be serious without a suit o And work should be challenging and challenge should be fun As motivation technique they use innovation time off, where engineers are encouraged to take 20 percent of their time to work on company related that interests them personally www.notesolution.com People work better when they’re involved in something they are passionate about, many cool technologies have their origins in this 20 percent time including GMAIL google NEWS and AdSense When you give employees the chance to apply their passion they can do amazing things Continuation of Question 1 . . . Electronic Commerce The process of buying and selling goods and services electronically through use of the internet o Amazon, E-bay, Craigslist What are the implications of IT within organizations Eg. Retail industry Figure 7.1: IT breaks barriers and changes organizations Suppliers -> Supply chain management is improved by IT connections Stragegic Partners -> More things are done by outsourcing and partnerships using IT Customers -> Customer relationship management s improved by IT connections People teams and departments are better connected by IT Organizations are flatter as IT replaces management Levels Question 2 : What is the roe of information in the management process? What is useful information Data Information What are the differences between data and information What are the characteristics of useful information Information needs of organizations Information exchanges with the external environment o Gather intelligence information o Provide public information Information exchanges within the organization www.notesolution.com o Facilitate decision making o Facilitate problem solving Figure 7.2 External and internal information needs of organizations Intelligence information gathered from stakeholders and external environment | V Internal Information flwos up down and arounc and across organizations | V Public information disseminated to stakeholders and external environment Internal and external information flows are essential to problem solving and decision making in organizations Basic information system concepts Information system Management information systems (MIS) Decision Support System (DSS) Is newest technology always better? Managerial advantages of IT utilization Planning advantages Organizing advantages Leading advantages
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit