Week 9 - Strategic Planning

5 Pages

Department
Global Management Studies
Course Code
GMS 200
Professor
Sui Sui

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
March 14, 2011
GMS 200 WEEK 9
Strategic Management
Study Questions
1.What are the foundations of strategic competitiveness?
2.What is the strategic management process?
3.What types of strategies are used by organizations?
4.How are strategies formulate?
5.What are current issues in strategy implementation?
Coca-Cola Deal Marks Major Shift in U.S. Strategy
Coca-Cola Company (CCC)
oMore than 500 brands, in over 200 countries, and serves 1.6 billion servings each day
Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE)
oA marketer, producer, and distributor of Coca-Cola products
Questions:
oCreate a SWOT analysis that would lead Coca=Cola to conclude that purchasing its bottler is a
good strategic move
oWhat growth/diversification strategy approach does the purchase of the bottler represent?
Study Question 1
Basic concepts of strategy:
oCompetitive Advantage: attributes that allows an organization to outperform
oSustainable Competitive Advantage (SCA): difficult to imitate
Strategy: comprehensive action plan, accomplish organizational goals with SCA
Strategic Intent: focus all organizational energies on a unifying and compelling goal
Strategic Management: formulate and implement strategies, accoplish long-term goals and SCA
Goal of Strategic Management: create above-average returns for investors
Environments and Competitive Advantage:
oMonopoly: Microsoft
www.notesolution.com
oOligopoly: Rogers, Telus, Bell
oHypercompetition: McDonalds, Burger King, Wendys
Figure 9.1: Strategy Formulation and Implementation in the Strategic Management Process
Study Question 2
Strategy Formulation
Strategic Questions (Peter Drucker):
oWhat is our business mission?
oWho are our customers?
oWhat do our customers consider value?
oWhat have been our results?
oWhat is our plan?
Strategy Implementation: all organizational and management systems must be mobilized to support
and reinforce the accomplishment of strategies
What are the essential tasks for strategy implementation? (Managers Notepad 9.1)
oIdentify organizational mission and objectives
oAssess current performance vis-à-vis mission and objectives
Analysis of Mission: reason for an organizations existence
What should good mission statements identify?
oCustomers
oProducts and/or services
oLocation
oUnderlying philosophy
How well does it serve the organizations stakeholders?
Figure 9.2: How External Stakeholdesr can be Valued as Strategic Constituencies of Organizations
Analysis of Values:
oBroad beliefs about what is or isnt appropriate
oThe benefits of strong core values
oOrganziational culture relects the dominant value system of the organization as a whole
The functions of organizational culture
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
March 14, 2011 GMS 200 – WEEK 9 Strategic Management Study Questions 1. What are the foundations of strategic competitiveness? 2. What is the strategic management process? 3. What types of strategies are used by organizations? 4. How are strategies formulate? 5. What are current issues in strategy implementation? Coca-Cola Deal Marks Major Shift in U.S. Strategy Coca-Cola Company (CCC) o More than 500 brands, in over 200 countries, and serves 1.6 billion servings each day Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) o A marketer, producer, and distributor of Coca-Cola products Questions: o Create a SWOT analysis that would lead Coca=Cola to conclude that purchasing its bottler is a good strategic move o What growth/diversification strategy approach does the purchase of the bottler represent? Study Question 1 Basic concepts of strategy: o Competitive Advantage: attributes that allows an organization to outperform o Sustainable Competitive Advantage (SCA): difficult to imitate Strategy: comprehensive action plan, accomplish organizational goals with SCA Strategic Intent: focus all organizational energies on a unifying and compelling goal Strategic Management: formulate and implement strategies, accoplish long-term goals and SCA Goal of Strategic Management: create above-average returns for investors Environments and Competitive Advantage: o Monopoly: Microsoft www.notesolution.com o Oligopoly: Rogers, Telus, Bell o Hypercompetition: McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s Figure 9.1: Strategy Formulation and Implementation in the Strategic Management Process Study Question 2 Strategy Formulation Strategic Questions (Peter Drucker): o What is our business mission? o Who are our customers? o What do our customers consider value? o What have been our results? o What is our plan? Strategy Implementation: all organizational and management systems must be mobilized to support and reinforce the accomplishment of strategies What are the essential tasks for strategy implementation? (Manager’s Notepad 9.1) o Identify organizational mission and objectives o Assess current performance vis-à-vis mission and objectives Analysis of Mission: reason for an organization’s existence What should good mission statements identify? o Customers o Products and/or services o Location o Underlying philosophy How well does it serve the organization’s stakeholders? Figure 9.2: How External Stakeholdesr can be Valued as Strategic Constituencies of Organizations Analysis of Values: o Broad beliefs about what is or isn’t appropriate o The benefits of strong core values o Organziational culture relects the dominant value system of the organization as a whole The functions of organizational culture www.notesolution.com Analysis of Objectives: o Operating objectives direct activities toward key and specific performance results o What are the typical operating objectives? Analysis of Organizational Resources and Capabilities: o Important goal of assessing core competencies o What are the potential core competencies? Figure 9.3: SWOT Analysis of Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats Analysis of Industry and Environment: o Macroenvironment • Techonology • Global Econmy • … Industry Environment o Resource suppliers o Competitors o Customers
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit