Week 10 - Leadership

6 Pages

Department
Global Management Studies
Course Code
GMS 200
Professor
Sui Sui

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
March 21, 2011
GMS 200 WEEK 10
Leadership
Study Questions:
1.What is the nature of leadership?
2.What are the important leadership traits and behaviours?
3.What are the contingency theories of leadership?
4.What is transformational leadership?
5.What are current issues in leadership development?
Leaders
Steve Jobs: CEO of the Decade Its better to be feared than loved
Carly Fiorina: CEO of HP (1999 to 2005) charismatic leader first woman lead a Fortune 20
company
Study Question 1:
Leadership: process of inspiring others to work hard to accomplish important tasks
What are the contemporary leadership challenges? High expectations on first attempts,
multidimensional problems to be solved (in textbook)
Visionary Leadership: a clear and compelling sense of the future, understand the actions needed to be
successful
oVision
What are the challenges of visionary leadership? 5 principles (in textbook)
Figure 13.1: Leading Viewed in Relationship to the Other Management Functions
Power: power should be used to influence and control others for the common good rather seeking to
exercise control for personal satisfaction
Two Sources of Managerial Power:
1.Position Power
2.Personal Power
Figure 13.2: Sources of Position Power and Personal Power used by Managers
How to Turn Power into Influence?
www.notesolution.com
oAcquire all sources of power
oReward/legitimate/coercive power: temporary compliance
oExpert/referent power: enduring results and generates commitment
What are the keys to building managerial power?
Power and influence are affected by workplace structures and networks:
oCentrality
oCriticality
oVisibility
Acceptance theory of authority: conditions that determine whether a leaders directives will be followed
and true influence achieved
Leadership and Empowerment
oEmpowerment:
oEffective leaders empower others by providing them with:
Information
Responsibility
Authority
Trust
Study Question 2:
How leaders can empower others?
Traits that are important for leadership success:
oDrive
oSelf-Confidence
o
oBusiness Knowledge
oMotivation
o
Leadership Behaviour: how leaders behave when working with followers
oRecurring patterns of behaviours exhibited by leaders
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
March 21, 2011 GMS 200 – WEEK 10 Leadership Study Questions: 1. What is the nature of leadership? 2. What are the important leadership traits and behaviours? 3. What are the contingency theories of leadership? 4. What is transformational leadership? 5. What are current issues in leadership development? Leaders Steve Jobs: CEO of the Decade – “It’s better to be feared than loved” Carly Fiorina: CEO of HP (1999 to 2005) – charismatic leader first woman lead a Fortune 20 company Study Question 1: Leadership: process of inspiring others to work hard to accomplish important tasks What are the contemporary leadership challenges? High expectations on first attempts, multidimensional problems to be solved (in textbook) Visionary Leadership: a clear and compelling sense of the future, understand the actions needed to be successful o Vision What are the challenges of visionary leadership? 5 principles (in textbook) Figure 13.1: Leading Viewed in Relationship to the Other Management Functions Power: power should be used to influence and control others for the common good rather seeking to exercise control for personal satisfaction Two Sources of Managerial Power: 1. Position Power 2. Personal Power Figure 13.2: Sources of Position Power and Personal Power used by Managers How to Turn Power into Influence? www.notesolution.com o Acquire all sources of power o Reward/legitimate/coercive power: temporary compliance o Expert/referent power: enduring results and generates commitment What are thekeysto building managerial power? Power and influence are affected by workplace structures and networks: o Centrality o Criticality o Visibility Acceptance theory of authority: conditions that determine whether a leader’s directives will be followed and true influence achieved Leadership and Empowerment o Empowerment: o Effective leaders empower others by providing them with: • Information • Responsibility • Authority • Trust Study Question 2: How leaders can empower others? Traits that are important for leadership success: o Drive o Self-Confidence o … o Business Knowledge o Motivation o … Leadership Behaviour: how leaders behave when working with followers o Recurring patterns of behaviours exhibited by leaders www.notesolution.com o Basic dimensions of leadership behaviours: • Task • People Figure 13.3: Managerial Styles in Blake and Mouton’s Leadership Grid Classic Leadership Styles: o Autocratic Style: emphasizes task over peo pleteve Jobs, Military o Laissez-Faire Style: lets the group make decisions o Democratic Style: committed to both task and people Study Question 3: Contingency Model (Fiedler): good leadership depends on a match between leadership and situational demands o Leadership is part of one’s personality o Leadership style must be fit to the situation Contingency Model o The least-preferred co-worker scale (LPC Scale) • Low LPC: task-motivated leaders • High LPC: relationship-motivated leaders Figure 13.4: Matching Leadership Style and Situation – Summary Predictions from Fiedler’s Contingency Theory Scenario o You are the chair of a student council committee of volunteers but the committee members aren’t particularly happy with you as the chair. o The committee is charged with organizing a parent’s day program to improve relationships between university and parents of the students. • Poor leadership • Weak powers • Use task oriented leadership Situational Leadership Model (Hersey-Blanchard): leaders adjus
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit