GMS 200 Lecture 4: Class 4- GMS
DepartmentGlobal Management Studies
Course CodeGMS 200
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
GMS200 (Class 4)
What is culture?
Shared set of beliefs, values, and patterns of behavior common to a group of people
What are the two building blocks of cultural awareness?
1. Reasonable sensitivity
What are the three popular dimensions of culture?
1. Spoken language
2. Interpersonal space
3. Time (who sets your appointments, order)
Low context culture: most communication takes place via the spoken or written word
High context culture: most communication takes place through nonverbal and situational cues
in addition to the written or spoken word
Question: “Arabs and Latin Americans tend to prefer closer interpersonal space when
communicating whereas American prefer wider interpersonal space” True
Polychronic Culture: Time is used to accomplish many different things at once
Monochronic Culture: People tend to do one thing at a time
• Comfortable with cultural diversity
• Quick to find opportunities in unfamiliar settings
Cultural Misunderstandings: What’s the big Deal?
• April 2010: a riot broke out at a Dry-dock World’s facility in Indonesia (Batam) after a
foreign supervisor criticized an Indonesian worker for making a mistake using was
perceived as a racist remark.
• Foreigners were barred from holding human resource positions in Indonesian
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version