GRA 743 – Week 3
Who is the Expert?
• Databases and data management
– computer programming and IT Management.
• Processes implementation
– The people that developed the software
– The ones that managed the process.
Two main Providers of asset management:
– Software Providers (SP’s)
– Application Service Providers (ASP’s)
• Asset management software providers develop asset management solutions (applications)
that are sold to users.
All hardware and software resides onsite at the user location.
– User has direct access to single user programs, or has access through the network and
perhaps via web browser interface or client application for server based solutions
– The user owns the license to the solution
The software solution can be simple to complex in structure.
– Companies may use the solution as an internal tool to manage its own assets
– Often, companies become an application service provider
Software providers offer distinct advantages for the user/buyer:
– Strong understanding of programming
– Experience handling critical data and assets
– Experience managing large volumes of data through multiple sources
– Software is in constant state of development (R&D)
There are some potential disadvantages for the user as well:
– Large start up costs • Hardware, software, installation
– Slow start up process
• Configuration and testing, learning curves and implementation
– Ongoing software upgrades can be costly
– Onus for disaster recovery and backup rests on the client, not the software provider