GRA 743 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Dublin Core, Japan Electronic Industries Development Association, Dicom
2 pages70 viewsFall 2012
Course CodeGRA 743
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
GRA 743 – Week 4
What is Metadata?
Metadata is "data about data”
– A single unit of metadata can be assigned to a single item, or a collection of data including multiple
content items and hierarchical levels.
Metadata can be assigned to an asset in many different ways:
– in application programs like Photoshop or Acrobat
– in specialty programs like Lightroom or iTunes
– in asset management programs like WebNative
Where is Metadata Stored?
When Metadata is applied to an asset, it is usually associated with the asset in one of three ways:
1. It is embedded in the asset
2. It is stored in a file that is linked to the asset
3. It is stored in a database associated with an asset management program
– Lives in the asset itself
– Can be automatically generated or user defined
– Can be any combination of metadata standards (IPTC, EXIF, etc.)
– Lives in a file associated with the asset
– Can contain user defined as well as automatically generated metadata
– Popular with Adobe products, and usually XML-based (e.g. XMP)
– Stored by asset management software with database functionality
– Can be user defined as well as automatically generated metadata
– Can be any type of metadata (IPTC, EXIF, XMP, XML, etc.)
Metadata Formats & Standards
• Powerful metadata
– ability to be used across platforms and between systems.
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version
Loved by over 2.2 million students
Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.