MHR 405 (268)

Class 2 Values and Attitudes.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Human Resources
MHR 405
Kristyn Scott

Class 2: Jan 17/2014 Values, Attitudes, and Work Behaviour -we always have an attitude towards everything ie) if we know something about how you feel about your job we can predict how productive and the quality of your work you are going to engage in - attitudes are very persistent; once we form it, it is very difficult to change and one of the reasons why we want to know how someone feels toward their job is because the attitudes you form in the workplace might not change and you might not become better at your work. An attitude you have direct experience with is way harder to change than an attitude that is malleable (ie) saying you don’t want to go to Florida because you heard bad things about it as opposed to experiencing a flood while you were in Florida in the past will discourage you from going there again • An attitude is based on 2 sources of information: -Cognitive: ie) you will have a positive attitude towards your boss because you saw how he executes his job and you respect him -Affective: ie) I have positive feelings for my boss -Behavioural: based on how we behaved on the past and our intention on how we want to behave in the future. ie) I intend to work hard for my boss in the future Does your attitude transition into behaviour? 1. Our intention is NOT the same thing as our behaviour; we might intend to do something but we will never act on it. Our behavioural intentions predict our behaviour ie) what do you think you’re going to do on the job next week? I’m going to come in a couple hours early to work hard on the project to impress my boss. 2 There are other situational and personal factors that moderate our intentions and behaviours (ie) I was stuck in the traffic on the next day and I was late to work 3. It might be that our behaviour predicts our attitudes; we engage in a behaviour and when I’m asked to evaluate my behaviour I look to my behaviour to guide my attitudes towards it. ie) I came in early to work to kick-start my project so I must like my boss. -This occurs due to cognitive dissonance-> when our attitudes don’t match with our behaviours and when it occurs we have an initial attitude towards something. We need to withdraw my behaviour or change my attitude because we are no longer acting in a way that is congruent with our attitudes. ie) Taking a job in a restaurant to make quick money for grad school when we know we are not good at that particular job and we do not like it but we took it anyways for money purposes. Workplace Attitudes Organiza
More Less

Related notes for MHR 405

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.