MHR 405 (268)

Class 3 Personality.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Human Resources
MHR 405
Kristyn Scott

Class 3 Jan 24/ 2014 Personality Chapter 2 Personality is the traits that make up an individual and how those traits influence the way we interact with the environment around us. Our traits are enduring meaning they are fixed, it is something about us. The reason that person is behaving that way is because of their personality  Fundamental attribution theory. Your personality is fairly fixed around age 7 but there are small changes that occur afterwards. Interactionist Perspective Personal factors interact with environmental factors and that produces behaviour; is it caused by their personality or by the situation. Allowing us to try to figure out why someone is acting a certain way a different way: - focused on strong and weak situations where, when we are found in a strong situation (norms for behaviour are fixed and set out i.e.) organization), personality is a weaker prediction of behaviour. When a situation is weak where there is no set way of behaviour, personality will become enhanced within an individual ie) in the library, we are supposed to be quiet so a person who is extroverted will talk with a low voice or not talk at all because they know they have to act that way and are following the norm of what everyone else in the library is doing Why use personality? Organizations use it for selection, who they are going to hire, promotion, development and we want to keep in mind that: - people equate personality with social skill: ie) extroversion is associated with positive personality traits within an organization. Because of the biases that incline our decision making, filtering, halo effect , stereotyping (cognitive misers), selective attention, and fundamental attribution error (overlooking the situation when we are trying to attribute things to people). So when we try to assess personality using the FAE, it might not be truly representative of the person. To combat this: - want to make sure we are assessing in a job relevant manor; not concerned with how someone interacts with other people in social settings but specifically in the work setting - to predict who is going to be a good performer, cognitive ability tasks will be a predictor in how strong they will but the problem is that they might lack in other areas such as team cooperatively and leadership skills and communication - organization are more interested in hiring people not for specific jobs but for their specific competencies, a certain set of skills and this causes rotations within the organizations  Person environment fit (match individual with tasks that they are going to fit in). i.e.) someone who is assigned a job that will require a lot of talking to other people when they are introverted and are shy, this will occur in a failure of the person environment fit Describing Personality - stats analysis found that 171 traits cluster within Big 5 Personality Traits: • Extroversion (sociability): people tend to be expressive, talkative, outgoing. ie) I like to have people around me • Introverted: more solitary, shy, quieter ie) I’d rather go my own way as opposed to others In work performance, with training performance, how well they do on training depends on their personality category (correlation is found to be .25 between extroversion and work performance) • Emotional stability: adjustment and where someone is secure with themselves • Low stability: not feeling secure with their place in the world Job performance, with someone who has more self-assurance, there is a positive impact on the job as opposed to low stability • Positive affectivity: more satisfied with things around them and higher satisfaction with their jobs; tend to do really well in sales and customer service (being optimistic) positions. • Low affectivity: not satisfied with their job and things around them • Conscientiousness: with work performance, most used predictor of performance and combine tog
More Less

Related notes for MHR 405

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.