Human Resources
Course
MHR 405
Professor
Kristyn Scott
Semester
Winter

Description
Jan 31. 2014 Teams Chapter 8 Correlation is the strength between two variables; there is a relationship between two things Coefficient: direction whether the correlation is positive or negative and the magnitude, from +1.00 to –1.00 is the determent of how strong the relationship is. The further the extreme result, the more correlated it is and 0 means there is no correlation. - If there is a relationship between job satisfaction and job performance, if the correlation is positive, as job performance goes up so does job satisfaction and same thing goes for negative correlations There are three possibilities in correlations: Positive: correlated but above 0 Negative: correlated but direction is under 0 Zero: unrelated correlation A correlation is not the same as causation because when we are talking about correlation, we are only talking about basic association instead of having a cause and effect relationship. It can also be that performance causes an increase in higher job satisfaction (ie) I am happy at my job therefore I perform well OR I am a great performer so I must be satisfied at my job There is also a 3 variable that links the two together as correlated: external environmental factors and participants factors and we cannot use a causal explanation to describe the relationship we can only claim a correlation What are groups? A group is where there is something about membership in that group that is common, similar (ie) gender groups, school and faculty that you belong to. • We join them for security (sense of safety in numbers) • Sense of status especially when you join a group f people who are great performers or are known for something • Self-esteem will be gained from the group’s performance • Power is gained through group membership, the more people we know, the more power we can draw on • Goal achievement like achieving outcomes so we need people to work with us • Personal Development where individuals feed off the skills of other people and get something out of it like experience and reflective self-esteem Groups must have a stable structure; there must be something common that keep the group together. There are typically common interests and goals amongst members of the group and there is a strong sense of belonging where each person in the group feels like they belong in the group. Stages of Group Development • It is presumed that each group will go through all these stages in consecutive order which is not always the case since sometimes groups can have really well defined Prestage: random people who have yet to come together Stage 1 Forming: Do not know anything about structure, what behaviours are acceptable or not acceptable in a group, who is the leader, have an understanding about the communication process, everyone’s personality. Group members really get to know each other in this stage. Stage 2 Storming: Conflict stage where there is unrest and people are struggling to find the leader how is working going to be divided up? Who will lead the group? When this is done, there should be a clear hierarchy of power within the group and who has what role in the group Stage 3 Norming: Turning point in term of cohesiveness where members start to identify as being part of the team, sense of team identity, expectations are solidified (everyone knows exactly what they should be doing and knowing what other peoples responsibilities are) Stage 3 Performing: Actual work is done Stage 5 Adjourning: Team might disband in the case of a temporary team (i.e.) creating a new product but in the case of a permanent work, team the adjourning stage will not happen but when a new member comes in you will go through the whole process again. If there are only 1 or 2 new members joining there will not be much disruption because the group has already established their skills and hierarchy within the group so the new members will have to adapt to it (person with low agreeableness and emotional stability can significantly increase the conflict within the group) Difference between group and team - Groups and teams everyone is working together; in groups the contributions is solely limited to individual contributions (i.e.) department of people where they will be evaluated individually on how well they performed. In a team, the performance in dependant on everyone and everybody’s contribution feeds into one another’s contribution so this is - Accountability is for everyone in a team and everyone is accountable for the outcomes. Individuals are responsible for the outcomes while in a team there are mutual outcomes that is dependent on every member of the group - Group of people are responsible to adhering to what management is set to them (their outcomes); in a team is responsible for their own goals and are often self-managing and are not reporting to any management and have to figure out their goals and outcomes When do we use teams? - We have a task that is very complex and outcome is very important and a team is better than an individual because you can get different viewpoints on the topic, c
More Less

Related notes for MHR 405

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit