Class 5 Communication.docx

3 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 405
Professor
Kristyn Scott

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
Class 5 Feb 7/ 2014 Communication We work with other people, we need to convey our thoughts, feelings and ideas to others and we have to do it effectively where it is understood by other people; it’s not just the transmission, it’s the interpretation of that transmission making it two or more way process. One of the reasons that it is important to understand communication because people who work in production engage in a communisation episode once every 4 minutes while this is not really a major part of their job. First level managers (entry level) they spend 20-50% of their time to verbal communication and middle and upper level managers, 66-99% of their time engaging in verbal communication and this raises when we include written communication Importance of Communication 1. Coordinate work activities: communicating with others; teams know what someone else is doing on their task, when their going to meet, what they are going to be bringing whether it is virtual meetings or face-to-face meetings. The way we coordinate our work activities based on communication 2. Vehicle for organizational learning: how would you know how your organization did over the past quarter in terms of production? This information will be provided to us via verbal or written communication such as reports, company-wide memos, emails, etc. 3. Decision-making does not occur without communication as well as the acceptance of the decision and conveying the results of an outcome of the decision. Interactional justice is treating people with dignity and respect and how communication is presented, as everyone will interpret the information differently. Communication that suffers results in counterproductive behaviour verging on criminal activity amongst employees 4. Influencing others: trying to persuade others to go along with what you have presented 5. Employee well-being: in a situation where we are not able to interact with others, we tend to see less satisfied employees. We need to structure interaction with other employees within organizaitions. Communication Process Model 1. Figure out how to encode my message and present it to others (i.e.) thinking what I want to say and then formulating a method to get my ideas out to others 2. Once I encode it, I send it out 3. The receiver has to receive it and then decode it: need to figure out what exactly the words and graph mean through either listening or reading, observing body language, etc. 4. How we’re going to let the sender know that we understood it; we go back through the process of letting them how I understood their message and send them my feedback Hierarchy of Channel Richness - All the different ways we can communicate have different richness levels and we need to consider the method in which we convey the information - The richest method of conveying information to others is face-to-face because we get many more cues to help know if we were understood or not - Next is telephone -Email, blogs, Tests you will be getting something but it is misunderstood because of you cannot tell the tone of the message (i.e.) sarcasm - Newsletters w
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit