Human Resources
Course
MHR 405
Professor
Kristyn Scott
Semester
Winter

Description
March 7/2014 Chapter 5 Motivation Basic Components of Motivation Arousal: what gets us moving, what is the driving force behind having something to do (ie) deadline to make Direction: how we’re going to focus our energy to attain our goals, and choices we are going to make Maintenance: how long are we going to persist in the making of our goal *It is not the same thing to say one is motivated and performance are the same thing but influence one another* Theories Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs – Innate Theory Most basic needs could be satisfied by almost anyone and by the time you to get to the top it is very hard for someone to achieve this: • Physiological Needs: bottom and basic things we need (ie) food, shelter, oxygen • Safety Needs: protected din environment • Social Needs: affiliation and desire to belong These are deficiency needs because If we don’t meet them we will be a deficient person • Esteem Needs: recognition, respect, being recognized and respect for our efforts and having approval from others • Self-actualization: reaching true potential Growth Needs: If we meet our growth needs, we will be fulfilling our true destiny as a human Two Assumptions: Prepotency Principle: lowest need that is activated is the one that is most driving or strongest driver of motivation (i.e.) hunger is what going to drive my motivation and cannot move up in hierarchy until I’ve satisfied my hunger Invariant ordering of needs: have to work through pyramid in order to move onto highest level and we cannot skip levels - It is easy to understand and it is easy to create conditions in the organization to satisfy the different needs in Maslow’s hierarchy (ie) replace policies in terms of conduct to make them feel safe, practice fire drills for safety needs, pay for their lunches and provide them with shelter for physiological, make teams work together for social needs, recognition for esteem needs and having workers take on more progressively difficult work assignments for self-actualization Problem is that there is no empirical support for the theory, there are two huge problems with prepotency and invariant as there is no evidence that these needs need to be fulfilled in order but Maslow got employers to realize that employees have needs and they differ between each employee McClelland’s Need Theory - Learned Theory We are socialized through what our needs are: Need for power: we need to control our environment somehow, we want to influence people Need for Achievement: want to excel and do better than others Need for Affiliation: we want to have established friendly relationships - If we can socialize these needs, that means that we can teach them and this theory does have support and we know there are di
More Less

Related notes for MHR 405

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit