Simulation: a model of a complex system and the experiment manipulation of the model to observe the
- Systems that are best suited to being simulated are dynamic, interactive, and complicated.
Model: an abstraction of a real system.
- It is representation of the objects within the system and the ules that govern the
interactions of the objects.
- Treats time as continuous
- Expresses changes in terms of a set of differential equations that reflect the relationship
among the set of characteristics.
- Meteorological models fall into this category.
Discrete event simulation
Made up of entities, attributes, and events
- Entity: the representation of some object in the real system that must be explicitly defined
- Attribute: Some characteristics of a particular entity
- Event: An interaction between entities
To Construct a queuing model we must know:
- The number of events that how they affect the system in order to determine the rules of
- The number of servers
- The distribution of arrival times in order to determine if an entity enters the system.
- The expected service time in order to determine the duration of an event.
Arrival = Random; Number of units=Random; To find out the expected time of waiting.
- Models based on the time dependent partial differential equations of fluid mechanics and
- Initial values for the variable are entered from observation and the equations are solved to
define the values of the variables at some later time. Computer models are designed to aid the weathercaster, not replace him or her
- The outputs from the computer models are predictions of the values of variables in the
- It is up to the weathercaster to determine what the values mean.
- An interdisciplinary field that applies techniques of computer science, applied mathematic,
and statics in problems in biology
- Encompasses bioinformatics, computation biomodeling, computational geonomics,
molecular modeling, and protein structure prediction.
- Originally the language of communications for engineers, designers, and architecturs.