Two Types of Operating Systems:
1. Single User OS
a. Windows OS, Linux (Client), Mac OS
2. Multi User OS (Network OS (NOS))
a. Windows Server Family
i. Windows NT, Windows 2000 server, Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2008
1. Linux Server
Regardless of the flavor of Network Operating Systems, all Operating System do common tasks as
1. Manage Network Resources (Storage, Net devices, printers…)
2. Manage Network Security
3. Manage users network environment
4. Manage users’ desktop environment
5. Manage software application
Windows Network operating system
1. Windows server is multi-tasking, multi-threading, multi-processor operating system.
a. Note~* A thread is also called a process.
i. CPI does a single task(process) at a time but it does it too fast seeing to a user
as a multitasking
ii. NOS provides a true multitasking environment by supporting up to 32 CPUs
iii. Multi-CPI support provides also a bold balancing environment.
iv. Multitasking UNIX environment is called time-sharing. Windows Domain:
- Windows define its multi-user environment in the context of a domain
- Domain is a security boundary with a single unified administ