ITM 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Extranet, Management System, Relational Database
88 views2 pages
For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
ITM102 - Business Driven Information Systems - Lecture 7: Databases and Warehouses
Organizational data and information
● Information - data converted into meaningful text.
● Information granularity - extent of detail within respective information.
● Real time information - immediate, up-to-date information.
○ Real time system - provides real time information in response to requests.
● Sources of low quality information have many features.
○ 1. Online customers intentionally enter inaccurate information to protect their
○ 2. Data or information from different system have different entry standards and
○ 3. Call centre operators enter abbreviated or erroneous information by accident
or to save time.
● Potential business effects resulting from low quality information have many features.
○ Inability to accurately track customers; inability to identify valuable customers;
marketing to nonexistent customers; tracking revenue due to inaccurate
invoices; and inability to build strong customer relationships.
● Database - collection of records about various business strategies.
● Operational information system such as SCM and CRM maintain access to transactional
data in databases.
○ Hierarchical database model - information is organized into a tree-like structure in
such a way that it cannot have too many stems.
○ Network database model - a flexible way of representing objects and their
○ Relational database model - stores information in the form of logically related
two-dimensional tables, the most common business databases today are these.
● Entity class - category of a person, place or thing.
○ Entity - individual person, place or thing.
○ Attributes - characteristics of an entity class (such as data, identification, contact
information and phone number).
● Primary key - field of group that contains values that uniquely identify a given record in a
● Foreign key - a primary key of one table that appears in another. Accessing both keys in
different areas will correspond to each other.
○ Relationships - data from one table is linked to another when computers find and
match between the two.
● A well designed database has many unique features.
○ Handle changes quickly and easily; provide users with different views and have
multiple logical views.
■ Physical view - deals with physical storage of information on a device.
■ Logical view - focuses on how users logically access information.