JRN 106 Lecture 2: SEO and SMO
What is SEO and SMO?
SEO: Search Engine Optimization
SMO: Social Media Optimization
Why SEO and SMO?
• We live in an online world filled with users who click on what they find interesting. Good
SMO and SEO optimizes this process so readers click on articles
• Print revenue is decreasing so we need to find ways to get users to click on articles to
make money from online ads
• Print revenue used to generate about $40,000 for full page ads not online you generate
only $7 of 1,000 impressions
• We need traffic to our sites to obtain revenue online from plenty of users
What led to the creation of SEO and SMO?
• Google algorithms are the main need for SEO and SMO
• Google filters content based on a series of algorithms that best match a search
• Google loves news and has a tab for news but will not pay for news
• Thus we need to optimize our wording so that out articles get shown at the top