LAW 122 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Interest Rate, Jaywalking, Inductive Reasoning

34 views2 pages
Chapter 1
Law of large numbers insurance companies can charge a relatively small premium for large loss
exposures
Exogenous risk we have no control and not effected by our actions ex. Earthquakes
Endogenous risk are dependent on our actions ex. Smoking in bed, jaywalking
Some risks can be both, ex. Car accident
Objective risk the relative variation of actual loss from expected loss. As a result, the more
observations, the lower the objective risk
Objective probability the probability that is determined using the long run relative frequency of an
event based on the assumptions of an infinite number of observations and no change in the underlying
conditions
Subjective risk uertaity ased o a perso’s etal oditio or state of id
Subjective probability a idividual’s persoal estiate of a hae of loss
Inductive reasoning relies on the analysis of past data
Deductive reasoning used with probabilities where the probability is obvious from the nature of the
event
Pure risk when there is a chance of a loss but no gain ex. Driving a car
Speculative risk when there is a probability of a loss or gain ex. Investing in stocks, usually not
insurable
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Law of large numbers insurance companies can charge a relatively small premium for large loss exposures. Exogenous risk we have no control and not effected by our actions ex. Endogenous risk are dependent on our actions ex. Objective risk the relative variation of actual loss from expected loss. As a result, the more observations, the lower the objective risk. Objective probability the probability that is determined using the long run relative frequency of an event based on the assumptions of an infinite number of observations and no change in the underlying conditions. Subjective risk u(cid:374)(cid:272)ertai(cid:374)ty (cid:271)ased o(cid:374) a perso(cid:374)"s (cid:373)e(cid:374)tal (cid:272)o(cid:374)ditio(cid:374) or state of (cid:373)i(cid:374)d. Subjective probability a(cid:374) i(cid:374)dividual"s perso(cid:374)al esti(cid:373)ate of a (cid:272)ha(cid:374)(cid:272)e of loss. Inductive reasoning relies on the analysis of past data. Deductive reasoning used with probabilities where the probability is obvious from the nature of the event. Pure risk when there is a chance of a loss but no gain ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers