NPF 188 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Pathetic Fallacy, Japanese Mythology

54 views2 pages

Document Summary

The father of the japanese short story: wrote over 150 in his life that have been published, highly stylized retellings of chinese and japanese myths an fairy tales. Rashomon (a gate, structure [think arc de triomphe]) A (cid:373)a(cid:374) is fired, (cid:449)as a sa(cid:373)urai"s assista(cid:374)t, de(cid:272)ides to (cid:271)e(cid:272)o(cid:373)e a thief i(cid:374) order to sur(cid:448)i(cid:448)e. Comes across an old lady, pulling hair off of corpses. Place that is both the beginning and the end; have to go through it to get into the city and to leave. Considered an early modernist story for its structure: seven retellings of the same story, testimonies. Series of testimonies about a supposed murder of a samurai within a grow. Mysterious police station?? where they are giving the testimony. Policeman: masago"s (cid:373)other, takeheiko"s (cid:373)other i(cid:374) la(cid:449) Honour: also the motivation for all of the characters. Subjective truth: everyone is telling their own truth, what they know and remember, truth is not always fact.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers