MHR 405 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Mental Models, Stereotype, Fundamental Attribution Error

68 views4 pages

Document Summary

Self-concept: an individual"s self-beliefs and self-evaluations, who am i? how do i feel about myself, compare perceived jobs with out perceived and ideal selves, includes three self-concept characteristics and four selves processes. Perception: the process of receiving information about and making sense of the world around us, what gets noticed, how information is categorized, and how information is interpreted without our existing knowledge. Selective attention: selecting versus ignoring sensory information, affected by the perceiver"s characteristics (assumptions, expectations, needs, con rmation bias - screening out information contrary to our beliefs/values. Mental models in perceptions: knowledge structures we create to describe, explain, and predict the external world, helps make sense of situations - ll in missing pieces; help to predict events, may block recognition of new opportunities/perspectives. Attribution process: internal attribution - perception that behaviour is caused by a person"s own motivation or ability; credit ourselves, external attribution - perception that behaviour is caused by factors beyond a person"s control.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers