MHR 405 Lecture Notes - Cognitive Dissonance, Job Satisfaction

14 views2 pages
Published on 17 Jan 2014
Department
Course
Professor
Class 2: Jan 17/2014
Values, Attitudes, and Work Behaviour
-we always have an attitude towards everything ie) if we know something about how you feel
about your job we can predict how productive and the quality of your work you are going to
engage in
- attitudes are very persistent; once we form it, it is very difficult to change and one of the
reasons why we want to know how someone feels toward their job is because the attitudes you
form in the workplace might not change and you might not become better at your work. An
attitude you have direct experience with is way harder to change than an attitude that is
malleable (ie) saying you don’t want to go to Florida because you heard bad things about it as
opposed to experiencing a flood while you were in Florida in the past will discourage you from
going there again
An attitude is based on 2 sources of information:
-Cognitive: ie) you will have a positive attitude towards your boss because you saw how he
executes his job and you respect him
-Affective: ie) I have positive feelings for my boss
-Behavioural: based on how we behaved on the past and our intention on how we want to
behave in the future. ie) I intend to work hard for my boss in the future
Does your attitude transition into behaviour?
1. Our intention is NOT the same thing as our behaviour; we might intend to do something but
we will never act on it. Our behavioural intentions predict our behaviour ie) what do you think
you’re going to do on the job next week? I’m going to come in a couple hours early to work hard
on the project to impress my boss.
2 There are other situational and personal factors that moderate our intentions and behaviours
(ie) I was stuck in the traffic on the next day and I was late to work
3. It might be that our behaviour predicts our attitudes; we engage in a behaviour and when I’m
asked to evaluate my behaviour I look to my behaviour to guide my attitudes towards it. ie) I
came in early to work to kick-start my project so I must like my boss.
-This occurs due to cognitive dissonance-> when our attitudes don’t match with our
behaviours and when it occurs we have an initial attitude towards something. We need to
withdraw my behaviour or change my attitude because we are no longer acting in a way that is
congruent with our attitudes. ie) Taking a job in a restaurant to make quick money for grad
school when we know we are not good at that particular job and we do not like it but we took it
anyways for money purposes.
Workplace Attitudes
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Notes+

Unlimited access to class notes and textbook notes.

YearlyBest Value
75% OFF
$8 USD/m
Monthly
$30 USD/m
You will be charged $96 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.