Human Resources Management Ch 7

3 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 523
Professor
Margaret Yap

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Chapter 7 ± Selection
Selection ± process of choosing among individuals who have been recruited to fill existing/projected job
openings
1. Preliminary applicant screening ± forms, resumes
2. Selection testing ± standardized, reliable & valid
3. Selection interview ± interviewer: assess applicant qualifications, behaviour; applicant: present
positive image, sell skills, market positive attributes
4. Background investigation/reference checking ± dates of employment, job title (ranks), salary level,
criminal records, eduFDWLRQOLFHQVH³*KRVW´FRPSDQ\VHOI-owned business)
5. Supervisory interview & realistic job preview
6. Hiring decision & candidate notification ± give reasonable length of time for decision
Guidelines for Avoiding Legal Problems: selection criteria based on job, adequate assessment of
applicant ability, careful scrutiny of applicant-provided information, written authority for reference checking,
save all records & information; reject applicants who make false statements
Selection ratio ± number of applicants hired / total number of applicants
Multiple-hurdle strategy ± approach to selection involving series of successive steps/hurdles; only
candidates clearing hurdle are permitted to move onto next step; pre-screening, testing, interview,
background check
Reliability ± interviews, tests, other selection procedures yield comparable data over time; degree of
dependability, consistency/stability of measures used
Validity ± accuracy with which predictor measures what it is intended to measure
Differential validity ± confirmation that selection tool accurately predicts performance of all possible
employee subgroups, including white males, women, visible minorities, persons with disabilities,
Aboriginals
Criterion-related validity ± extent to which selection tool predicts or significantly correlates with important
elements of work behaviour
Content validity ± extent to which selection instrument, such as test, adequately samples knowledge &
skills needed to perform the job
Construct validity ± extend to which selection tool measures a theoretical construct/trait deemed
necessary to perform job successfully
Tests of Cognitive Abilities
Intelligence (IQ) tests ± measure general intellectual abilities (verbal comprehension, inductive reasoning,
memory, numerical ability, speed of perception, spatial visualization, word fluency)
Emotional intelligence (EI) tests ± measure ability to monitor ones own emotions & emotions of others &
use that knowledge to guide thoughts & actions
Aptitude tests ± PHDVXUHLQGLYLGXDVDSWLWXGHpotential to perform a job, provided they are given proper
training
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 7 Selection Selection process of choosing among individuals who have been recruited to fill existingprojected job openings 1. Preliminary applicant screening forms, resumes 2. Selection testing standardized, reliable & valid 3. Selection interview interviewer: assess applicant qualifications, behaviour; applicant: present positive image, sell skills, market positive attributes 4. Background investigationreference checking dates of employment, job title (ranks), salary level, criminal records, edu.,9L43OL.0380*K489.425,3 80O1-owned business) 5. Supervisory interview & realistic job preview 6. Hiring decision & candidate notification give reasonable length of time for decision Guidelines for Avoiding Legal Problems: selection criteria based on job, adequate assessment of applicant ability, careful scrutiny of applicant-provided information, written authority for reference checking, save all records & information; reject applicants who make false statements Selection ratio number of applicants hired total number of applicants Multiple-hurdle strategy approach to selection involving series of successive stepshurdles; only candidates clearing hurdle are permitted to move onto next step; pre-screening, testing, interview, background check Reliability interviews, tests, other sele
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit