Human Resources Management Ch 9

2 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 523
Professor
Margaret Yap

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Chapter 9 ± Career Development
Career planning & development ± person becomes aware of personal career-related attributes & lifelong
series of activities that contribute to their career fulfillment; individual must accept responsibility, requires
self-motivation, independent learning, effective time & money management
Career ± series of work-related positions
Career Development ± lifelong series of activities
Career planning ± process, become aware, identify goals, action plans to attain goals
Roles in Career Development: individual, networking, manager, employer
Career cycle ± VWDJHVWKURXJKZKLFKSHUVRQVFDUHHUHYROYHV
Growth stage ± birth to age 14 during which person develops self-concept by identifying with & interacting
with others (family, friends, teachers)
Exploration stage ± age 15-24, person seriously explores various occupational alternatives, attempting to
match these alternatives with their interests & abilities
Establishment stage ± age 24-44, heart of most peopOHVZRUNOLYHV
Maintenance stage ± age 45-65, person secures their place in work world
Decline stage ± many people face with prospect of having to accept reduced levels of power &
responsibility; retirement
Occupational orientation ± by John Holland, 6 basic personal orientations that determine sorts of careers
to which people are drawn
1. realistic ± physical activities requiring skill, strength, coordination
2. investigative ± cognitive activities (thinking, organizing, understanding) rather than affective
(feeling, acting, interpersonal, emotional tasks)
3. social ± interpersonal rather than intellectual/physical activities
4. conventional ± structure, rule-regulated activities; employee subordinates their personal needs to
those of organization
5. enterprising ± verbal activities influencing others
6. artistic ± self-expression, artistic creation, expression of emotions, individualistic activities
Career anchor ± concern/value that you will not give up if choice has to be made (Edgar Schein)
1. technical/functional ± avoid decisions that would drive them toward general management
2. managerial competence ± become manager
3. creativity ± build/create own product
4. autonomy & independence ± free of dependence
5. security ± long-run career stability, job security
6. service/dedication ± meaningful in large context, environment, poverty
7. pure challenge ± overcoming impossible
8. lifestyle ± integrate career, family, personal
Responsibilities of Organization: provide realistic job previews, avoid reality shock, provide challenging
initial jobs, be demanding, provide periodic developmental job rotation, & provide career-oriented
performance appraisals, career-planning workshops, mentoring, & learning organization
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 9 Career Development Career planning & development person becomes aware of personal career-related attributes & lifelong series of activities that contribute to their career fulfillment; individual must accept responsibility, requires self-motivation, independent learning, effective time & money management Career series of work-related positions Career Development lifelong series of activities Career planning process, become aware, identify goals, action plans to attain goals Roles in Career Development: individual, networking, manager, employer Career cycle 89,J089K74:JKZKL.K5078438.,70070;4O;08 Growth stage birth to age 14 during which person develops self-concept by identifying with & interacting with others (family, friends, teachers) Exploration stage age 15-24, person seriously explores various occupational alternatives, attempting to match these alternatives with their interests & abilities Establishment stage age 24-44, heart of most peopO08Z47NOL;08 Maintenance stage age 45-65, person secures their place in work world Decline stage many people face with prospect of having to accept reduced levels of power & responsibility; retirement Occupational orientation by John Holland, 6 basic personal orientations that determine sorts of careers to which people are drawn 1. realistic physical activities requiring skill, strength, coordination 2. investigative c
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit