Class Notes (998,196)
CA (575,506)
Ryerson (32,013)
MKT (1,422)
MKT 100 (989)
Lecture

MKT 100 Lecture Notes - Categorical Imperative, Situational Ethics, Blood Diamond

4 Pages
Summer 2011

Department
Marketing
Course Code
MKT 100
Professor
Paul Finlayson

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Module 3: Social Responsibility
Codes of Ethics
Company codes of ethics in practice
emphasizes honesty, truthfulness in comm w/ consumers,& avoidance of immoral
practices.
ethical dilemmas arise during implementation of marketing strategy d/
Cutting ethical corners is approved and even encouraged to make the pitch, the sale 
double standard = whistleblowers have careers ended = Pepsi and Coke
ethical accountability nazi
Ethical behaviour in trading requires that both the buyer and seller behave ethically not
take a stand is to sell out ones values, self-respect and soul.
ethics ombudsman - someone senior in the organization managers can go to and receive a
sympathetic hearing
Highlights of the Canadian Marketing Association Code of Ethics
Not disseminate unsolicited material
not exploitation of any person or group ( race, colour, ethnicity, religion) or competitor
must be clear and truthful not mislead or deceive consumers
not misrepresent a product
realize the age group being marketed to (kids, teenagers)
portrayal must accurately and fairly describe the product
data referred to must be reliable, accurate and current and must support claim
avoid undercover or word-of-mouth marketing initiatives
genuine bills, invoices or government documents must not be used.
guarantee for repair, replacement, refund or other remedy must be honoured promptly.
A Personal Ethics Checklist
Ethical vigilance - paying attention to whether ones actions are right or wrong
-The set we espouse and want others to apply in their behaviour toward us, and
The code of ethics that, for whatever rationalizations, we actually live by.
Understanding Marketing Ethics
ethical codes break down, societies cease to function and ultimately collapse
trade in a society and profit from trade have social and moral obligation to accept
general ethical rules of society
Different cultures have different ethical rules
The most good for the most people: the utility principle
utility principle - ethical behaviour is the behaviour that produces the greatest good
we, who are ethical in our values, stay in business even if it means that we have to
sometimes stoop to the unethical practices of our rivals
hard to separate our desires/ goals from judgment of what is right
more desperate the company= lower ethical standards = more d/m/ fixated on how comp
will benefit.
rationalization - behaving unethically for the total good and means justifies the end
The categorical imperative
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Module 3: Social Responsibility Codes of Ethics Company codes of ethics in practice • emphasizes honesty, truthfulness in comm w/ consumers,& avoidance of immoral practices. • ethical dilemmas arise during implementation of marketing strategy d/ • Cutting ethical corners is approved and even encouraged to make the pitch, the sale double standard = whistleblowers have careers ended = Pepsi and Coke • ethical accountability nazi • Ethical behaviour in trading requires that both the buyer and seller behave ethically not take a stand is to sell out one’s values, self-respect and soul. • ethics ombudsman - someone senior in the organization managers can go to and receive a sympathetic hearing Highlights of the Canadian Marketing Association Code of Ethics • Not disseminate unsolicited material • not exploitation of any person or group ( race, colour, ethnicity, religion) or competitor • must be clear and truthful not mislead or deceive consumers • not misrepresent a product • realize the age group being marketed to (kids, teenagers) • portrayal must accurately and fairly describe the product • data referred to must be reliable, accurate and current and must support claim • avoid undercover or word-of-mouth marketing initiatives • genuine bills, invoices or government documents must not be used. • guarantee for repair, replacement, refund or other remedy must be honoured promptly. A Personal Ethics Checklist • Ethical vigilance - paying attention to whether one’s actions are right or wrong - The set we espouse and want others to apply in their behaviour toward us, and The code of ethics that, for whatever rationalizations, we actually live by. Understanding Marketing Ethics • ethical codes break down, societies cease to function and ultimately collapse • trade in a society and profit from trade have social and moral obligation to accept general ethical rules of society • Different cultures have different ethical rules The most good for the most people: the utility principle • utility principle - ethical behaviour is the behaviour that produces the greatest good we, who are ethical in our values, stay in business even if it means that we have to sometimes stoop to the unethical practices of our rivals • hard to separate our desires/ goals from judgment of what is right • more desperate the company= lower ethical standards = more d/m/ fixated on how comp will benefit. • rationalization - behaving unethically for the total good and means justifies the end The categorical imperative www.notesolution.com Module 3: Social Responsibility • Tragedy of the Commons effect - what if everyone did it issue = alt to limitations of the utility principle • advertising puffery (exaggerated claims…lying) reduce the efficiency of markets • categorical imperative - way ethical thinking takes situation/ context out of the ethical evaluation requires the decision maker to “see” the universal wrong or evil in the act • Situational ethics - when right and wrong are determined by the specific situation • both utilitarian situational ethics and the categorical imperative still require a basic set of values The source of our ethics • spiritual and religious beliefs and society greatly influence our ethics • believer of another religion may apply his or her religious ethics to all situations uncertainty in market = decrease efficiency of market. • Having a predominant religion as the core for trading ethics = common framework to decide what is right and economically efficient. Global cross-cultural ethics • new traders = not same ethics = changing trust • blood diamond - a diamond initially obtained through slavery and murder • when-in-Rome philosophy - not using own ‘moral compass,’ instead replacing it w/ ethics of foreign trading partner. • major religions and cultures do share many common norms and ethics • international marketers face dilemma where their personal moral compass clashes with situational issues and trade-offs among the interest groups a
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit