GROUP RESEARCH PROJECT (25%):
Working in teams of 3-5 students, you will select/be assigned one HR topic to research from the
HR Topic Chart below. You will pick two organizations and will interview one HR
professional/administrator from each of the selected two organizations (two individuals in total).
PART 1: Group Project Work Plan: (To be submitted in class 4).
The OBJECTIVES of Part One are that upon completion, you will:
• Have submitted and received feedback on a written group project work plan. The work
plan will outline your interview strategy with the two individuals you have selected who
are responsible for the HR function/topic your team is researching, ideally HR
• Have outlined your proposed research topic areas and your research methodology (how
you are conducting your research and where.
• Be able to function more effectively as a team, through the process of having worked
together early in the term on a small assignment.
Detailed instructions for Part 1:
1. You will submit a typed group project work plan (double spaced,12 point font, 2-3 pages
maximum ), as follows:
- your proposed research topic area.
- the names of the two organizations being researched
- the names of the two individuals being interviewed and their titles.
- your interview plan (at least 15 proposed interview questions)
- the work distribution of your group (who will be doing what components)
- your peer evaluation methodology/criteria, signed and agreed to by all group
members (see guidelines and template to be used posted on
blackboard course site).
- where you expect to obtain relevant research information on your topic
Use the chapter in your textbook for your topic as a guide to organize your interview
questions. Include lead questions at the start that explore the broader strategic and
organizational details of the organization (e.g. main strategic goals/constraints, structure,
size, unionized, demographics, size of HR department, who top HR person and person being
interviewed reports to).
Note: please staple the material together, no folders, binders are required.
Group Project Topics:
1 of 10 Team Topic
Team 1: Job Design & Analysis
Team 2: Human Resources Planning (HRP)
Team 3: Employee Recruitment
Team 4: Orientation
Team 5: Training and Development
Team 6: Performance Management
Team 7: Career Development
Team 8: Compensation (direct payment & incentives)
Team 9: Employee Benefits and Services
Team 10: Occupational Health & Safety
Team 11: Effective Labour/Employee Relations
Team 12 Workplace Diversity
Team 13 Employee Selection
PART 2: Final Written Report and in class presentation (25%)
The OBJECTIVES of Part Two are that upon completion, you will:
• Have researched how two organizations manage ONE of their major HR
• Have compared, contrasted and critiqued the HR function/process of the two
organizations based on material in the text and your literature search (minimum 10
articles post 2000, from scholarly HR journals) Internet website research does not count
towards the 10 articles required.
• Have deepened your knowledge of a major HR function/process
• Have conducted both field and academic research following project guidelines
1. Schedule your interviews with the two HR professional/ administrators and once you have
received feedback on your HR Project Work Plan conduct the interview as a team. Note:
Each team member should particip